• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Sierra vs. Ranger Intake Comparison - Side by Side Photos

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Interesting stuff... Makes me wonder a bit why the second set of injectors? Fuel enrichment for forced induction? Entire back up fuel system? Volumetric efficiency thing? Hmmmm

I just didn't see it on the schematic you posted... and had to ask.
FINALLY FOUND IT!!

"A member of the Cosworth YB engine series, the unit in the RS500 displaces the same 2.0 liters as the standard unit which produced 201 HP in stock, road-going form. Racing versions of those engines developed approximately 370 HP, but faced limited potential thanks to a smaller Garrett T3 turbocharger. Paired with a strengthened block built to withstand increased boost pressure, a Garrett T04 helped the RS500 produce 220 HP, with cars tuned to full racing spec making around 550."

In 1987. In. 2.0l. With 4wd.

IIRC, it was a matter of a simple jumper wire or extra connector to the harness to max out boost control and bring on all eight injectors. So in a few minutes your Sierra went from 220hp to 500+. Ford was eventually forced to quit building them over insurance.

Gee, wonder who Dodge copied with the Hellcat/Demon and the red /black keyfobs...

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Motorcraft brand Sierra TPS is inbound. All I have to figure out now is the intake filter(s).

May gasket match the ports. Read on the Ford Europe forums that it helps out same as on Ranger. May hold off though to see a before and after. Will say that it made a huge difference when I ported my Ranger's plenum and lower intake.

Phenolic spacers were recommended as well. Anyone that finds one before I do gets a six pack and a high five. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You can have your Cozzie's and your RS's. All I've ever wanted was the Supervan.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You can have your Cozzie's and your RS's. All I've ever wanted was the Supervan.

All I ever wanted was a Subaru Justy, but APPARENTLY that's FROWNED UPON in this ESTABLISHMENT.

...jerks.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
...it looks a little vulgar.

_20190506_173615.JPG

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
:icon_confused: you spelled "sexy" wrong...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So, counting up the vac ports on my Ranger intake, it looks like I have six rhat will need to be carried over (FPR, cruise control, brakes, pcv, charcoal can, MAP) Counting the ports available on the UK intake, looks like I have four available. No worries on that, I'll more than likely relocate the IAT sensor to the aluminum intake, and use the IAT port for the vacuum splitter off the Ranger plenum.

New challenge is a block off plate for that weird hole on the UK intake. No idea what that was for. Guessing EGR.

The six mounting bolts were a challenge as they have to have gasket washers under them. The intake came with five, and not even fastenal had the sixth. Found an eBay seller that sold me.hex head flange bolts that would work, and another that made the gasket washers. Getting closer.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The question is now while I'm waiting on parts... Do I just gasket match port and be done with it? I know I'm going to wind up doing it anyways...

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
idk what " gasket match port" means, but DO IT...:headbang:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
idk what " gasket match port" means, but DO IT...:headbang:
You basically use the gasket set to mark your two mating surfaces on the parts that will joint together, and using those marks, you open up the ports using a die grinder and different bits and sanding tools.

An example would be where the intake ports meet the cylinder heads. The intake air flows through those ports, and most of the time, the ports don't match up well in size and shape. So you coat the head surface in Dykem (or even Sharpie) lay the gasket down, mark the internal opening in the gasket, then grind the ports in the head to the size of the opening in the gasket by using your marks as reference lines. Then you do the same to the intake ports where they meet the heads. When you're done, the ports in the intake match the ports in the head, both matched in size to the gasket that lay between them.

Left port has been gasket matched, while the right hasn't been done yet.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You basically use the gasket set to mark your two mating surfaces on the parts that will joint together, and using those marks, you open up the ports using a die grinder and different bits and sanding tools.

An example would be where the intake ports meet the cylinder heads. The intake air flows through those ports, and most of the time, the ports don't match up well in size and shape. So you coat the head surface in Dykem (or even Sharpie) lay the gasket down, mark the internal opening in the gasket, then grind the ports in the head to the size of the opening in the gasket by using your marks as reference lines. Then you do the same to the intake ports where they meet the heads. When you're done, the ports in the intake match the ports in the head, both matched in size to the gasket that lay between them.

Left port has been gasket matched, while the right hasn't been done yet.

Second. I usually use a diamond bit and scribe a line like an engraving then work from there. First step is to open with a fly cutter on a dremel, then blend with a rounded cylinder fly cutter, sand with a flap wheel, then sand with abrasive discs/those dremel bits that look like scotchbrite pads. Man o freaking man does it make a difference.

Two identical engines and trucks are on a drag strip with two identical drivers. Only difference is gasket match porting. Gasket match wins every time, hands down. It's a 1%-10% gain in efficiency and power, depending on engine.

Also, if you've watched the YouTube video on my build thread of a highway merge, the truck started making the intake noise it now does when I step on it after porting, didn't make it before. That's the (f**ck your guts) noise.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Dremel? Step ya game up son.

If you're good with these and have the hand/wrist strength to hold the die grinder from getting away from you, no further sanding is necessary when using these bits in my experience. I used these dozens of times a day back when I was an aluminum fabricator and our QC department was super OCD on surface finishes.

https://goldencoulee.com/collections/top-viewedd/products/1045

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
thank you both for that thorough explanation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals