• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Won't start.

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I will almost 99% gurantee its not the chain. In 20 years here i dont think ive ever heard of a 2.9 chain failure.

It could possibly be the distributor itself. IIRC code 18 usually relates to that. It may even be wiring or an ECM failure
Well I took timing cover off and just double checked chain and timing marks everything aligns on the cam and crank I am assuming y’all are thinking maybe distributor itself and wiring I’ll check all that over but how can I possibly test to see if ecm is bad I hear pump when I turn key check engine light comes on with key in on position then goes off like normal I have spark so I’m at a loss here I don't know a hole bunch on distributors and how they work or how to tell they go bad.

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also the Hall Effect sensor is that also known as ignition pickup coil? located on the distributor. im going to pull the harness tomorrow and check that and make sure all the wiring to that is good i have heard of the hall effect sensor going bad in the 2.9s but like i said ive never really got into a distributor before... thanks for all the help so far.

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I replaced distributor but I have no spark when spout is connected but when pulled it has spark but starter sounds kind of like it’s in a bind plug back in spins over great just no spark I haven’t replaced TFI yet don't know if that would cause my issue?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals