• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Heads

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
MAKG, Can you confirm that the braided strap from the drivers side head (at the back) gets grounded to a wiper motor?

The orange ground you talk about I believe is the one I found in that wiring harness. Off the distributor....shared with the injectors.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It certainly goes NEAR there, but I always thought it went to the firewall.

I never disconnected that one.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I used to OWN my truck...but apparently these days I'm being :owned: BY my truck, and it doesnt feel very good at all.

That braided ground strap looks like the only place it can reach is that wiper motor ground bolt. However in the 4 years I've owned this truck its never been attached there, and I definitly didnt take it OFF of there when I took things apart this time. I'm just positive that its been attached to the back of the upper intake plenum this whole time, and it worked before, so it should work again.

The upper intake itself has continuity with the negative post on the battery, so as far as I'm concerned...a ground is a ground is a ground right?

Next thing, That orange wire you were talking about. I found'er alright. But for the life of me I cant see where it would bolt onto the drivers side head!!! Its reasonably short, which implies that it goes to the back of the head, but I didnt disconnect anything from the back of that head when I took the original off! I'm looking at the original from that side and theres nowhere that I'd have undone it from with the exception of one bolt hole that still has the bolt frozen in it. Clearly I didnt take it out! Where else could it go?

Next thing. With the key on, if I turn the distributor I hear a clicking sound like a relay but they come from 2 spots. One from the power distribution box (passenger side fender) and the other from the distributor area (but I cant tell where) sometimes one of these clicks is followed by what sounds like a pump priming up (but again I cant tell where it is due to background noise and trying to manipulate the distributor and listening all over the place all at once.) Does this sound normal to you guys? Should I be hearing these noises or should I be preparing to look for bad wires? WHATS GOIN ON?!?!?! I hate this! Trouble shooting SUCKS why couldnt it just work right the first time for me!

Thanks All

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Remember, the heads are identical. So if you want to see where the holes in the back of the passenger side head are, take a good look at the FRONT of the driver's side head.

In principle, the arc firing between the rotor and dist cap will make a noise, but I'd expect it to be too faint to hear. Is this a new dist cap and rotor? Are all the plug wires pushed ALL the way on? The fuel pump relay is in the PD box, and I suspect you're hearing that as well as the fuel pump.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remember, the heads are identical. So if you want to see where the holes in the back of the passenger side head are, take a good look at the FRONT of the driver's side head.
Thats exactly what I did. I also looked at the exact head that I took off of the passenger side and like I described, found only one possible location to bolt it to, but that I had never taken the bolt out of there, so it couldnt have been connected to that spot.

In principle, the arc firing between the rotor and dist cap will make a noise, but I'd expect it to be too faint to hear. Is this a new dist cap and rotor? Are all the plug wires pushed ALL the way on? The fuel pump relay is in the PD box, and I suspect you're hearing that as well as the fuel pump.
I'll double check all the connections there, It'll likely wait till Friday afternoon though, I have a stats test (final) on Friday morning, and it takes priority.

I still dont understand why rotating the distributor would activate the Fuel Pump relay....

Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The fuel pump relay is supposed to be energized for two seconds after the last ignition event. The two seconds is to prime the fuel system, and the after the last ignition event thing is to keep the pump running while the engine is. It's normal.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WOAH!!!

COOOOL!

Thanks. I've got a renewed hope!!!!

Will update on Friday

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I'm back to the grind here.....not winning.

I've started a post in the Electrical forum, its more relevant than continuing this one.

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals