• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L + Turbo = ?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Exactly what I need to have done. 5.400 302 rods fit the 2.9 crank with the correct bearing, but they need to have 0.002 shaved off the sides of the big end.

The small end needs much more cut from the sides of them, likely 0.25+ and a set of bushings need to be made or purchased to size the 0.912 rods to the 0.866 pins.
Damn shame the local machinist is getting so hard to find... because that doesn't seem like a far fetched request. There is someone for that job. I texted my old business partner to see if he still talks to Scott... I would trust him with my stuff... I will let you know and if possible... I will set you up so you can talk to him.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Damn shame the local machinist is getting so hard to find... because that doesn't seem like a far fetched request. There is someone for that job. I texted my old business partner to see if he still talks to Scott... I would trust him with my stuff... I will let you know and if possible... I will set you up so you can talk to him.
THANK YOU

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
THANK YOU
So... it seems Scott and his dads machine shop closed up about 5 years ago. Scott now sells insurance with no access to any kind of machine shop tooling. I still think there is someone that would do this...

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
I am sure the 2.9's would take 6-8 psi of boost on stock internals with a good tune and added fuel. My 3.0 took almost 20 psi for 20K abused miles, this was on a motor with almost 100k, it finally stretched a rod bolt & wiped out 3 of the 6 rods & added ventilation holes in the pan in several spots. The pistons all looked great other than damage from the loose rod pieces.

JP02XLT
I know I’m posting 11 years in the future, but if you got pics of how you mounted that turbo, I’d like to see them lol. Boosting my 2.9 and looks like I’ll have to fab most of the manifold.

dangerranger406

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Strapping a turbo on my 2.9L, have a greased turbo that doesn't require oil lines, and running it just behind the rear axle so heat soak isn't an issue, intake air temp after half hour running is 70 ish F, just need to get my tubing ran along the chassis for the compressor intake and outlet up to the intake manifold, it'll be all tucked away and out of sight, have it regulated for 10 psi ATM will see how it goes from there, 2 new engines to swap in it, so this one's kind of the big bang engine, 235k and on its last leg, will be sure to get video 🤣

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals