• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L + Turbo = ?

Sheetbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Chevy
Transmission
Manual
Im gonna try and fit the turbo off a 7.2 powerstroke to my 2.9, hahaha,

chadsworth2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No offense intended but I think you wasted a lot of money.

The clutch wasn't necessary. The forged pistons weren't necessary. I don't know how you are gonna control or use the injectors. The exhaust will almost all be scrapped if you go to a turbo, and if you don't, you've killed the torque by going to such a large exhaust system.

This is why I turbo'd mine. To build it normally aspirated it woulda been cantankerous requiring premium fuel and tuning that isn't possible without a replacement stand alone injection system. And then it woulda honestly made very little added power. And what would be added would be way up the power band, and not terribly useful.

The only non stock parts on my truck are an FMU, boost retard, fuel pumps, the turbo and turbo oil pump. Stock computer, injectors, clutch, pistons etc. My truck has like 190K on it. The cylinders are worn, but not ragged. The heads are new with necked down valves. That's it.

It makes PLENTY of power. And it is SO drivable. And if I drive it not like a madman the gas mileage is better! I got like 28 MPG going to Carlisle in a convoy.

It flies thru emissions testing too. Because when it is not in the boost, it is bone stock and in good mechanical repair.

My combo has been up here for years, and no one notices it or copies it. If anyone here had ridden in it, there would be 50 like mine. It's too easy, and works.

Like I said, it is completely ignored on the Carlisle showfield. I don't even take it there anymore.
Where can I find all the details of this turbo setup on your 2.9L GT ranger DCinDC?
I have a 87 Ranger with a 2.9L that has 326K miles on it. I purchased a remanufactured Long block which is waiting for me to have time to install.
My reasoning for considering a turbo... I daily drive this Ranger, its 4x4 and lifted with 32 inch tires, I have swapped the gears for 4.10. I axle swapped 94 front TTB in and 98 Explorer 8.8 already. However the old worn out 2.9 does not do well in the mountains. I live in Denver Colorado at 5280 feet above sea level and when I head up to the 4x4 trails I sometimes take I-70. when doing so, I have my foot buried in the floor boards in 3rd gear and barely have enough engine to keep 45mph.
My number one goal for adding a turbo is for improved highway performance on my way to and from 4x4 trails and the ski hills.
when off roading the current 2.9 l has plenty of low end torque to get me through the rocky and steep trail systems when I am in low range.

My thought are this...
1- I wait to swap the new engine in and do the fitup and testing of your turbo combo on the old worn out 2.9. This way if i break it.... I dont care so much
2-Install the remanufacture 2.9 and see if having a fresh engine gains me enough power back that I dont feel the turbo is necessary.
3- if I think the turbo is still necessary Id like to install something simple and in reasonable price range. Im not trying to blow the doors of stangs... I just want mid range power up here at my crazy elevation of living.

Is it possible to add the highway power without sacrificing to much of my low RPM torque?
Thoughts or Suggestions for this Or a Link to a Thread thats better suited for this question would be great.
Thanks all
If you're a Troll, Sinic, Or Otherwise negative Nancy.... Your opinions are not welcome

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
So, I just rebuilt my 2.9L. It’s bored +40 and stroked and I put an RV cam in it. The motor literally has only 2000 miles on it as of today. I’m seriously considering putting a turbo on it. I was originally going to super charge it, but figuring out the mounting is just not what I want to do. I plan to turbo within the next year.

I should add, my cooling system is far from stock, and I’m currently running without a thermostat.

I think I’m probably sitting at about 160-170hp right now with all the upgrades I’ve done (it’s really snappy). I’m trying to break the 200hp mark. Are there any manifolds/turbo’s that will bolt on from other years/motors, or am I stuck on eBay trying to piece this thing together and fabricating?

Attachments

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Where did you source the stroker crank?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
4.0 crank with compatible rods and pistons brings displacement up to 3.5l or so.

I'm interested as well. I've though about doing the same.

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
Where did you source the stroker crank?
Honestly couldn’t tell you, the machinist I took it to ordered all the internals for it. When I dropped it off I told him, I want more power lol. When I picked it up, I had the goodies. It wasn’t cheap, I will say that. I’ll get in contact with him and find out where he found it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Honestly couldn’t tell you, the machinist I took it to ordered all the internals for it. When I dropped it off I told him, I want more power lol. When I picked it up, I had the goodies. It wasn’t cheap, I will say that. I’ll get in contact with him and find out where he found it.
Never had a chance to ask, but did you wind up using cast or forged pistons? If forged, where did you source yours??

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
Never had a chance to ask, but did you wind up using cast or forged pistons? If forged, where did you source yours??
I wound up with cast, the block was in the shop for 6 weeks, I was itching to get it back. Didn’t want him spending more time trying to find the Pistons. Lol

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm STILL trying to find a machine shop to trim my rods to fit the Trinity pistons. Frustrating staring at everything i need to finish it and being unable.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm STILL trying to find a machine shop to trim my rods to fit the Trinity pistons. Frustrating staring at everything i need to finish it and being unable.
Unfortunately... the right guy for that job is most likely the most expensive with the longest turn around time.

What exactly are you trimming? Small end width? I use to have a guy that was weened from the bottle in a fully equipped machine shop. I sure miss my old connections in Michigan, I'm not sure I can even contact him...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Unfortunately... the right guy for that job is most likely the most expensive with the longest turn around time.

What exactly are you trimming? Small end width? I use to have a guy that was weened from the bottle in a fully equipped machine shop. I sure miss my old connections in Michigan, I'm not sure I can even contact him...
Exactly what I need to have done. 5.400 302 rods fit the 2.9 crank with the correct bearing, but they need to have 0.002 shaved off the sides of the big end.

The small end needs much more cut from the sides of them, likely 0.25+ and a set of bushings need to be made or purchased to size the 0.912 rods to the 0.866 pins.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think the closest thing you could use is those honda or Hyundai rods I sent you. I think I sent you the bearings I found also.
Exactly what I need to have done. 5.400 302 rods fit the 2.9 crank with the correct bearing, but they need to have 0.002 shaved off the sides of the big end.

The small end needs much more cut from the sides of them, likely 0.25+ and a set of bushings need to be made or purchased to size the 0.912 rods to the 0.866 pins.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals