• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l V6 Acting Really Funny After Reassembly

ShodMermaid336

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Everyone,
I have a 1988 Ranger Xlt (2.9l v6 w/ A4ld; 2wd) that I bought maybe a year ago, and I have taken my sweet time to work on it. When I got it, it was blowing smoke as if it was burning coolant,as well as it was revving really high to shift(pretty sure that's the trans though).
I took the upper intake off and everything associated( I.E. Fuel rail, distributor, injectors,valve covers, as well as the blower fan and ac system, power steering pump, and various sensors and vacuum hoses)

I replaced the lower intake manifold gasket( it was broken), and reassembled everything to my best knowledge ( i didn't mark the fuel injector pigtails however, like an idiot)

TL: DR
My Engine runs very poorly, Sounds off time but also misfiring, compression seems fine, tried swapping injector pigtails, i think I've found the combination its meant to be in.
It starts, Runs poor, will die if you don't give gas after about 20 seconds, If you cover a vacuum port it dies, and as you rotate the distributor it sounds different(maybe better, I dont know)

Please help, I've got no idea whats wrong, and I'd love to daily drive this and restore it
Note:
There is no coolant in the engine/ Cooling system, I haven't run it for more than 30 seconds at a time. Also plug wires are new. Has fuel pressure as well.

Video of the Engine Running:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check firing order from EACH spark plug to cap, then check it again, third times a charm, but forth time gets it done

Speaking from experience, when "I KNOW" firing order is correct, "STOP ASKING!!!, and it wasn't, lol

IAC Valve sets idle air flow, is it working?
You can unbolt it from upper intake, turn on the key
Plug in its 2 wire connector and you should see the valve inside move to full open, only moves 3/8" or so
Unplug wires and it will close, repeat as need to make sure it is working
If not test voltage on the 2 wires, key on should be 12volts
IAC Valve OHM test should be under 30ohms, more like 10ohms

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is it still smoking and shifting funny?

Pull the vaccuum hose off the engine that runs down to the transmission. Check it for tranny fluid. Or hell plug the port off and let it idle a bit.

I got a feeling you got a bad modulator valve leaking ATF into the vaccuum line then its getting sucked jnto the engine.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as the injector wiring is concerned, the injectors fire in two banks; 1, 4, and 2 in the first bank, and 5, 3, and 6 in the second bank. The only connectors that you can possibly get wrong are 2 and 5 (the two center ones). When you look at each pair of connectors, one will have shorter wires than the other. The connectors with the shorter wires go to the passenger side injectors, and the longer ones to the drivers side.

ShodMermaid336

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys, Thank you all for the replies, just spent a little time with the truck.
Took off the intake manifold, re-installed the distributor(TDC on Piston one on compression stroke)
Re ran all the spark plugs wires, and installed a new distributor cap as well

I noticed it was wet underneath the intake (gaskets etc), smells like gas, possibly the Fuel Pressure Regulator, but not sure (and dont really want to shell out 60 bucks for a new one.)

buttoned her all up and she started, sounded a little better, but the more vacuum lines i took off, the more powerful it sounded. The engine would die if i hooked all the vacuum ports up.

I honestly have no idea what wrong, i know the timing is off, but it doesn't fix when i adjust the distributor (by hand, twisting the housing)

Side note: Realized the Map sensor was never plugged, the vacuum line was, the electronics were not however. Once i plugged her in, it didnt start anymore, unplugged it, and it still didnt start, so im not sure that is a cause of the no start or poor running.

Video of it running now:

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would determine which vacuum line(s) cause it to die when hooked up. Process of elimination, one at a time. Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for gas; rev the engine a few times, pull the vacuum line, and check it for fresh gas. And like Rusty already mentioned, check the vacuum line to the vacuum modulator on the trans to see if it's sucking up tranny fluid from the modulator. Check the connector and wiring to the MAP sensor, check every vacuum hose for vacuum leaks. And shelling out $60 for an FPR is better than an engine fire :). Have you pulled codes?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You sure have a lot of potential issues here! I would be running a compression test before throwing any more parts at it. Cracked heads are very common. No reason to throw more money at a junk engine.

RockAuto has fuel pressure regulators for $25, I'd try that next if your compression test checks out. Usually it'll run with a bad one but will be hard to start when warm and it will not run well.

I suspect also that your timing is way off. You need a light to get it right.

The MAP sensor MUST be plugged in for it to run right. Maybe snag one from a junkyard to rule out a bad one.

The vacuum line thing - do you have open vacuum ports? You shouldn't. They should either be hooked up to something or capped off.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^

The MAP sensor "reads" vacuum level in intake manifold, so the fact that you are unplugging and plugging in vacuum hose to make it run means you have other issue.
So plug in the MAP sensor an ALL vacuum lines, then try to start engine, cranking engine makes about 2" of vacuum which the MAP needs to see for startup

Also have someone crank engine(disable spark), or use remote start, and have your hand over the intake opening, you should feel a steady vacuum pulling at your hand, it you feel a pulse of air OUT then you have a valve/rocker issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals