• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 5.0 and 5 speed

cruisingkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford / ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 ranger 3.0 5 speed 4x4 and I also have a 2000 explorer limited 5.0 awd. I would like to swap the motor and don't want to use the transmission. I can't find a m5r2 w/ the right shifer location. I can find a 5 speed & tcase from 92 f150 for 300$ or a zf s5-42 for 600$ then find a tcase.
So my question is what is the most feasible route besides just using the 4odawd. Any input would be greatly appreciated

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS.

Assuming the transmission from the 92 F-150 is a small block bellhousing (300 six cylinder or 302 motor), that should be an M5OD and my understanding is that’s what you’re after.

The ZF5 is a bigger case and I’ve been told is harder to fit in a Ranger. It would also have to be the small block bellhousing and not the big block version or a diesel version.

Other thoughts…
A shift kit greatly helps auto transmissions. I went the automatic route with both of the swaps I’ve done so far. One for my dad and one for myself. I did a bigger transmission cooler and I’m intending on getting a shift kit. For the 4R70 that the Explorer 5.0s had, there’s a basic shift kit, a performance shift kit, and a manual valve body and performance kit. That third option would make it an auto that you have to manually shift through the gears all the time but no clutch. You would probably have to use that with an aftermarket shifter but I haven’t investigated that yet.

cruisingkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford / ranger
Transmission
Manual
The m5r2 I'm looking for is 97 to 03 or so 4.2 v6 or so it seems from the research I've done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals