• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 B-Series Drivers Seat back blown out. <$10 fix.

WI9LL

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I had an issue with the recline in my 60/40 drivers seat in my 2000 B3000. For a few years this has been an issue and I'm getting the truck back from my dad again(we've passed it back and forth several times since he bought it new back in 2000.) The recline issue was the standard broken bolt issue that everyone seems to have and I repaired it by disassembling the seat and replacing the bolt with a high grade(12.9) M6 bolt from Lowes.

While I had the seat out, I pulled off the upper upholstery, because the back of the seat had been blown out for years. Lack of any lower back support makes the vehicle very uncomfortable to drive longer distances. Here is what I found. The two vertical support rods had broken at the base of the upper seat.

After thinking about it for a while I bought a $7 clothesline kit from Walmart and a $1 pool noodle, and with the help of a few wire ties I had lying around, I fixed the seat and it is super comfortable now. I ripped the original bars out, put the clothesline in their place and clamped them tight, then wrapped with parts of the pool noodle I cut and wire tied so they would stay in place. The only reason for the pool noodles is that over time, the original rods had worn through the foam, and I wanted a little extra protection. They also gave a little more padding, and since they are behind the foam, they don't push the seat out any and only add to the stability of the back. I put the upholstery back on the seat and you can't tell it's not the factory design at all.

Hopefully this will help someone that needs a quick fix for this very problem. I assume it affects a lot of Rangers and Explorers as well.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's thinking outside the box... is that the plastic coated cable? If so... good choice as it won't stretch. Hopefully the cable clamps don't wear through the seat cover.

As a side note... I see you trimmed your wire ties with side cutters. Ever stick your hand and arm in where someone has trimmed their wire ties like you did? it's painful and will cut you up. Pick up a pair of flush cut wire tie nippers. They leave no sharp edges and won't cut you up next time you slide your arm past them. They're cheap... I have 3 or 4 pairs floating around and are priceless.

And... welcome to TRS. Way to just jump right in and share what you do. I read your introduction and see you're taking you truck in an overlanding direction. Looks like a nice truck... have fun rigging it up!

WI9LL

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was lazy on the wire ties. I usually do trim them flush, but I figured I'd never be back in the top of the seat. It'll bite me later. :giggle:

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
I had a similar situation with my 2000 Ranger seat. The back supports sheared off the the same place. I put in an adjustable lumbar support from a ‘02 Mercury Mountaineer. It works and does the trick, but I like the simplicity of your fix. I tend to overthink fixes.

Frozen_Ice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P225/70R15
My credo
Have your pets spayed and neutered
So I had an issue with the recline in my 60/40 drivers seat in my 2000 B3000. For a few years this has been an issue and I'm getting the truck back from my dad again(we've passed it back and forth several times since he bought it new back in 2000.) The recline issue was the standard broken bolt issue that everyone seems to have and I repaired it by disassembling the seat and replacing the bolt with a high grade(12.9) M6 bolt from Lowes.

While I had the seat out, I pulled off the upper upholstery, because the back of the seat had been blown out for years. Lack of any lower back support makes the vehicle very uncomfortable to drive longer distances. Here is what I found. The two vertical support rods had broken at the base of the upper seat.

After thinking about it for a while I bought a $7 clothesline kit from Walmart and a $1 pool noodle, and with the help of a few wire ties I had lying around, I fixed the seat and it is super comfortable now. I ripped the original bars out, put the clothesline in their place and clamped them tight, then wrapped with parts of the pool noodle I cut and wire tied so they would stay in place. The only reason for the pool noodles is that over time, the original rods had worn through the foam, and I wanted a little extra protection. They also gave a little more padding, and since they are behind the foam, they don't push the seat out any and only add to the stability of the back. I put the upholstery back on the seat and you can't tell it's not the factory design at all.

Hopefully this will help someone that needs a quick fix for this very problem. I assume it affects a lot of Rangers and Explorers as well.
perfect. mine just broke

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals