• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Explorer V8 4x4 to 2001 4.0 Ranger 4X4

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I recently bought a 2001 Ranger 4x4 ExCab with a SOHC 4.0. The truck had been sitting for about 3 years, but after replacing the fuel pump, t-stat housing, radiator and several misc. other items, it's now a running and driving vehicle. However, it does have 258k on it and the engine has a fairly steady tapping sound on the passenger side bank. I'm pretty sure it's something in the valve train, but I haven't had a chance to investigate in depth yet. I'm also concerned that it may have leaking headgaskets or possibly warped heads since it was obviously overheated before it was parked. Either way, I figure the engine is due for a rebuild if I want it to be reasonably reliable. That said, I have a line on a 2000 4x4 Explorer V8 for what I believe is a fairly decent price. From the little research I've done, I believe that a swap from the Explorer to the Ranger would be fairly straight forward, with only minor issues to be dealt with. Am I correct on this?

I figure if I'm going to have to pull the 6 banger for a rebuild anyway, I might as well look into putting a 5.0 back in it's spot. Granted, it will be more costly and require at least some modifications, but I want to at least explore the possibility. I figure you guys are the ones that can either talk me off the ledge or push me over it. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Not even a "do your own research, we're not here to spoon feed you" reply? LOL

Oh well, I'll probably go ahead and get the Expo if it's still available and either turn it around for a few bucks or swap it and figure out the rest as I go.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Depending on what you want for it, I may be interested in the V8Expo. I cant find one for a decent price around here. If it runs, no matter how bad, or what shape the body/interior is in, most are around $1000. To me that's way too much for a parts/donor truck.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Well, the guy wants $1200 for this one, but it runs and drives. I've easily got that in the Ranger already between the purchase and parts I've replaced, so I don't think it's too far from a fair price. At least until I've actually seen it and heard it run. That could change everything.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Yeah that's what I figured for a decent one, but I don't care about interior, all I'm looking for is the Motor/Trans/Rear End/Harness/Computer. The rest I either already have or can/will get. People think because their 20yo explorer has a v8 and itr runs, they need top $$$ for it. But the velour interior is trashed and the plastic is barely there and they still want $1000 or more, with 250kmiles. NO WAY

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
My procrastination saved me $1200. LOL The Explorer I was looking at on CL is already sold.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
im a cheap skate. for $1200, i would drive the explorer before i used it for parts..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals