• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 Not Engaging

bpagut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I recently went down a trail and attempted to turn my 4 wheel drive on. It did not engage nor did the light on the dash turn on. When i start my truck, the 4HI and 4LO lights both turn on then turn off on the dash. Whenever I try to turn on the 4wd the lights dont come on and i cant hear any clicking or hearing of the transfer case even trying to engage. I believe it is something electrical but I cannot pinpoint it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

The 4WD lights coming on with the key is a Bulb Test, nothing more.

In 2000 you may still have the 4WD system that is run by the GEM(generic electronic module) and PVH(Pulse Vacuum Hubs)
OR
You could have Live Axle and a 4x4CM(control module), all 2001 and up Rangers had this, but transition was during 2000

So first thing will be to see which one you have

Picture here of PVH hub: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SLWsG0v3jas/maxresdefault.jpg

Picture here of Live Axle Hub: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yM3Obly5IHg/maxresdefault.jpg

So obvious difference

Normally if the shift motor(on transfer case) stops working the 4WD lights will Flash when you try to shift to 4WD, than means the "controller" is working but motor isn't moving.

So most likely cause of the problem, as you described it, is the "controller" but we need to know which one you have to go farther

Last edited:

bpagut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the forum

The 4WD lights coming on with the key is a Bulb Test, nothing more.

In 2000 you may still have the 4WD system that is run by the GEM(generic electronic module) and PVH(Pulse Vacuum Hubs)
OR
You could have Live Axle and a 4x4CM(control module), all 2001 and up Rangers had this, but transition was during 2000

So first thing will be to see which one you have

Picture here of PVH hub: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SLWsG0v3jas/maxresdefault.jpg

Picture here of Live Axle Hub: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yM3Obly5IHg/maxresdefault.jpg

So obvious difference

Normally if the shift motor(on transfer case) stops working the 4WD lights will Flash when you try to shift to 4WD, than means the "controller" is working but motor isn't moving.

So most likely cause of the problem, as you described it, is the "controller" but we need to know which one you have to go farther
I have a GEM as I had pulled out my dash and checked the 4wd selector switch. Could it be possible it’s just the transfer case shift motor not working ?

bpagut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’m not sure thought if I have a gem if I still have a 4x4CM. Where would it be ? I checked the passenger side kick panel and found nothing.

bpagut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also I have a live axle hub, I do not have vacuum lines where the front axle is.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not clear yet on what you have but

IF the 4WD switch wires connected to the GEM then you "had PVH" hubs and someone locked them and removed vacuum hoses
So you don't have Live Axle just locked hubs

4WD lights should Flash if shift motor is not working and GEM is
There is another part with the GEM 4WD system, it would be behind the GEM module closer to firewall, thats the 4WD relay box
It has 2 relays inside that connect to the shift motor, GEM operates the relays to send voltage to the motor, these are the Clicks" you may hear when system is working.

But again if you select 4WD and GEM activates the relays but motor doesn't move the 4WD lights on the dash will Flash.
Since there is no Flashing I would suspect GEM is the issue, not relay box or shift motor.
But GEM modules didn't fail that often, so rare but not unheard of

If you have Live axle not lock/unlock front hubs then you have a 4x4CM, GEM is there but not used for 4WD

4x4CM will be in/behind passenger side kick panel, 2000-2003

Looks like this: https://wholesale.tasca.com/graphics/ChannelAdvisor/Photos/Ford/Watermarked/6L5Z7E453A/0.jpg

Says 4x4CM on the label

These were known to fail.
2001 to 2005 Ranger or Mazda B-series will work as replacement, not 2006 or up

Ford part number is 1L5Z-7E453-AB, or -AC

Dorman has them as 599-252

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals