• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ford Ranger 7.5-8.8 Axle Swap

TheCitrusMaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger (Mazda B3000) Ext. Cab with the stock 7.5 rear end. It is a 2wd, 3.73.

I am wondering, if swapping in a 8.8 axle from another ranger with the same 3.73 gearing, is there any modification necessary? Will it all bolt up?
Will the driveshaft bolt up with no modifications?
Will the parking brake bolt up with no modifications?
What year models for the axle will work best for this swap?
Anything else I should be aware of/other information on this swap?

Thanks guys!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Back when I was entertaining the idea myself, I seem to remember everything is pretty much an even swap except perhaps the flange the drive shaft bolts up to but that seemed to be a crap shoot on whether it matched up or not. I ended up just getting another 7.5 from the junk yard with the gearing I wanted and some new u-bolts since they are really meant to be a one time use item.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
If your doing this just for the bigger drum brakes, you can just transfer the backing plates , hardware & drums from a 8.8 to a 7.5 there’s not much advantage going to a 8.8 over a 7.5 except for brake size. Both are the same weight capacity. Granted covers and lockers are easier found for a 8.8 but that’s about it. When I swapped axles (I was going from 3.45 gears to 4.10’s) I did want a 8.8 but all the ‘yard had in that ratio was (2) 7.5 axles. Not sure about the parking brake, I’ve had issues with them sticking so I just torched off the cable at the backing plate. Park it in gear when I shut it off. Always have.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
It is a plug and play swap. Driveshaft bolts right up. I think the only thing I had to do when I swapped mine was I had to buy new U-bolts.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
and now for the "required" question: why?
if you plan on more power that's a valid answer. if you just like to do stuff, I guess that's also a valid answer.

but you are staying with the same gear ratio, and didn't mention lockers, limited slips, or engine swaps.

the standard 8.8 has 28 spline axle shafts, the exact same shafts as the 7.5 does.
the 7.5 in my 2005 reg cab 2wd has lasted 355,500+ miles. I bought it new as my work truck so it had a rough life for the first 280,000.

stay away from 2010 and 2011 axles, they don't have the speed sensor on the differential and are only 28 splines.

TheCitrusMaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am eventually planning on swapping in a 5.0 from an explorer. The explorer rear end takes welding and other things that seem more complicated than simply swapping in a ranger axle. Although the explorer axle has a 31 spline as opposed to ranger 28 spline, I have heard that any 8.8 will do fine behind the 5.0. Correct me if I am wrong there.

I was also wondering, since it seems I may need a custom driveshaft made for this swap (with my vehicle being an extended cab and 2wd, everything that I have read points in that direction). I was really wondering if I could just leave my stock 7.5 behind the 5.0. I realize that one day, my rear end may fail me because it isnt meant for that "power" (if you really want to call 210hp power) but I wanted to make sure that should that happen a new 8.8 rear end could be installed without needing yet another driveshaft made.

From what I have heard so far in this post the install is completely bolt in, driveshaft bolts up, and no special modifications are necessary. If I have a custom driveshaft made with my stock 7.5 in the back, I should be able to at some point later in time install an 8.8 without needing a new driveshaft. Is that right?

TheCitrusMaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I guess that what I am asking is if the flange fitment on both the 7.5 and 8.8 are the same. I could have probably worded all that better.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Had a driveshaft made? You know you could have swapped in an aluminum 1 piece factory shaft from a 98 up, right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals