• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger 2.5L 2WD

Vigilante

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235 75
Hello,

I have a 2000 Ranger, 2.5L, 2WD.
It’s the first time I’ve had to smoke this thing in a decade and I get to the station and they say they can’t complete the test because their system is showing no power at the data link connector. I pulled out the manual to find out which fuse I would need to check, and according to my manual it’s interior fuse 5 but my research on this forum has also come to indicate fuse #17 as well. I inspected fuse #5 and tested fine but I replaced it to be sure. When I went to inspect 17 I found it had popped, went to replace it and as soon as the blades contacted the metal the new fuse popped. Happened three times.
Anybody know what other systems tie in to fuse #17 or have any idea what the problem may be? All my systems seem to work fine including the check engine light (not on when running).
I appreciate the help

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I unfortunately don't have an answer for your truck model, but hopefully someone else might. I'll move this to Misc Electrical & gauges since it seems to fit better there.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235 75
I figured it out. Fuse #17 is the cigar lighter for 2WD models, the lighter closest to the steering wheel.
Fuse #17 also supplies power to the DLC in conjunction with fuse #5. Both fuses need to be working for the DLC to function.
In this case, a bad cigarette lighter kept blowing fuse #17 and my car FAILED SMOG because of a bad cigar lighter.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Glad you got it figured out.

Thanks for coming back and posting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals