• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 2.3L - Freeze plug or heater hose leak?

grayfather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My sons 2001 ranger (auto) with 130k, overheated the other day. Inspection shows that after filling the coolant reservoir, the engine will leak it all out of the back. Between the engine and the transmission.

I originally thought there must be a heater hose connection there and either the hose has broken off or split open. But now I am reading that it could very well be a freeze plug that has corroded or fell out.

Here is a video of a mercury tracer where the transmission has to be removed to replace the freeze plug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tF5JrQqNIo&feature=related

Anyone have experience with this job? How much of the trans removal job do you have to do to get at this plug? Is it easier to pull the engine? Any references on how-to links with pics would be appreciated.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Check the head gasket back there as well. Also make sure it isn't the hoses leading to the heater core, by pass valve, EGR coolant hose etc etc etc... or anything like that that could be simply following the path of least resistance back that way because of how the truck is parked or anything.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Freeze plugs are in the block and hardly ever fail. I second checking the head gasket. That would fail before the plugs and is probably the problem. Also take out the thermostat and run it again to make sure it didn't fail and build up pressure.

Last edited:

Incinr8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If its the DOHC There is A rubber hose in the back that could be leaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals