• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 5.0 swap but non explorer engine

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a 5.0 with an aftermarket stand alone EFI system backed by a zf5 that i pulled from my old truck. I need to swap that into my 01 ranger. Ive already done the explorer style swap so the mechanics side of things ive got down pat. MY current issue is with the electronics. What im wondering is how the truck will act without things running through the stock ECU. Do the gauges run through it or directly from sender to cluster? What about the tac, can i wire it to a normal distributor? Will i have any issues with the PATS system when the engine is no longer using the stock ECU? I've got the standard shift pedal assembly and transmission wiring. Anything else i need to source to swap from auto to standard?

Sorry for the newb style questions. Ive skilled at fab work, suspension systems and etc but this type of wiring im not so good at.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You won't be able to run a stand-alone EFI system and still have all of your factory gauges stay functional. To my knowledge, the only read way to do that would be to use Explorer 5.0 harnesses, ECU, etc..

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What bird said. The oem guages all go through the ECU. Im sure you could technically frankenstien something together with enough time and all the wiring schematics but I can't see it being worth it. Either get a explorer manifold, harness and ecu, or use all custom guages and wiring. (Actually since going to a manual zf you may be better using f150 stuff)

The pats systen disables the fuel injectors so if your running an aftermarket efi system the ecu will have no access to shut it off... the theft light will be on constantly though.

You need the clutch master, driveshaft is different, and the crossmember will need to be custom.

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I may just need to scrap the idea and buy an 89-92 ranger to start off with. I’ve had nothing but issues from the explorer setup and I’m tired of dealing with it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, not in 2001, the gauges are still analog, 2004 and up got the HEC, digital dash

You should be fine

Just pull the Ford ECU and most of its wiring

You will need to use something like the dakota digital SGI-5E to get speedometer function, $85
As the 2001 computer did that conversion
If your new trans has speed sensor you can use that with the SGI-5E or you can tap the rear axle speed sensor like Ford did from 1998-2000
Ford's electric speedometer needs to see 8,000PPM(pulses per mile)

Fuel and Voltage gauges won't be effected
Oil Pressure and Temp gauges can use the 5.0l senders for those functions
Although oil pressure gauge is just ON/OFF not a true oil pressure gauge

Trouble/warning lights will need to be addressed but not seeing a big problem there, they will just not work, lol, unless you want them to
Battery light will work with 5.0l alternator

I don't see any issues removing the Ranger computer in 2001, if you aren't using Ranger automatic trans or Ranger engine

The GEM module, runs the cab electrics and doesn't need the computer, same for 4WD system or 4WABS, no connection to computer

AC used computer but that can be wiring differently to work

Last edited:

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. As far as the speedometer goes, mine is still ran off the sensor in the transfer case if I’m correct. Can I not keep using that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but you need the SGI-5E because in 2001 the engine computer converted the speed sensors 20,000+ PPM to the 8,000PPM the speedometer needs to see

If your transfer cases speed sensor is calibrated for 8,000PPM then you wouldn't need the SGI-5E
These would use the old speedometer gear setup with speed sensor instead of speedo cable, so if you have that then it is calibrated for 8,000PPM
If it uses a tone wheel instead of a gear drive then you need the SGI-5E

Here is the 2001 instrument cluster wiring, the 6 wires from the computer are just monitors and for warning lights, no other functions

Attachments

Last edited:

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has the sensor that’s in the transfer case that has the gear on it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So you should be OK then, Ford used 8,000PPM on all models as far as I know
You will just need to patch in to the wiring for the cluster, the grey/black stripe wire
Speed sensor sends out an AC signal, a sine wave, speed signal only uses 1/2 of it, so one wire on the sensor is a "ground" other wire is the speed signal, it sends the positive part of the AC sine wave to devices, like speedo and cruise, also your standalone EFI should use this

What spark system are you using?

Should be able to adapt that for the Tach, the tan/yellow wire

Last edited:

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
So if I have the correct speed sensor is it still wired into the ecu or does it bypass?

On the ignition system I’ll be using a gm style HEI distributor because that’s what came in the aftermarket efi kit. It works off the ground like any old style tach. Is it as simple as hooking the tan/yellow wire to the distributor?

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The stand alone efi is a self contained setup. It doesn’t read any speed signal because of the 5speed trans. It just uses a constant power,key on power,power while cranking and a ground.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You won't need the Ford ECU with your transfer case speed sensor, you will hook it up directly to the cluster, and cruise as needed

Yes, tan/yellow to tach signal on HEI
But you need to change 1 wire on the cluster
As is C220c pin 8 is a black/yellow wire, it need to be pulled out and moved to C220a pin 16(which is empty now)
This sets tach to read V8 RPMs

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It might help people here help you in the future if you list the brand name and model number of the EFI system you're using.

jewblesmcclown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You won't need the Ford ECU with your transfer case speed sensor, you will hook it up directly to the cluster, and cruise as needed

Yes, tan/yellow to tach signal on HEI
But you need to change 1 wire on the cluster
As is C220c pin 8 is a black/yellow wire, it need to be pulled out and moved to C220a pin 16(which is empty now)
This sets tach to read V8 RPMs

I’m kinda dumb on wiring so I catch on slow. On the speedo wiring do I need to physically rewire it to the cluster (as in manually jump across the ecu)or just pull the ecu and be fine?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals