2001 ford ranger edge 4.0l

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Man, if that was a 4x4 I'd be all over it! It's very rare to find a standard cab Edge with the 4.0 and 4x4... That would be a fun little 2 wheel drive street truck, but not for $11,000

When I bought my 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0 4x4 standard cab, the seller was asking $10,500 and it had 52,000 miles on it. I drove the truck away for $7000 cash.

That truck is old enough now that it's value is certainly as low as what I paid for mine.. IMO.

But a standard cab, 4.0 stepside is still kind of a rarity. It basically had to be ordered that way by a customer.

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Small pick ups are increasing, both in value and in asking price.
No one makes a "small" pick up anymore, and the medium size like the new Rangers and Colorados are bigger and to get into one around 40 grand.
Smaller Rangers and yes, even Chevy S-10 /GMC in really good condition are getting hard to find, at least for "cheap"
Consider something like that Ranger Edge for 11 grand, and you get it for 9-10 grand. In that kind of condition it will probably need nothing, so your not dumping money into it
Even a beater that that goes for 3-4 grand may only need some minor stuff to make it reliable.
That Edge with only 32,000 miles, is just broken in...your basically getting a new truck.
I lucked out with my 2009 XL...it only had 23,000 miles on it, and I only had to get tires as it still had the oe tires on it. Basically a new 10 year old truck.
It was more of a gift from an old neighbor that wife and I watch out for, but I'v been offered upward of $14,000 for it.
For 8-9 grand, that Edge would be a buy.
Grumpaw

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
I can see it fetching a premium if it was a 4x4, but being 2 wheel drive, I can't see it being worth more than what I paid (7000) for my 2001 with 52,000 miles, back in about 2009 or so. Remember, that truck is still 18 years old, and vehicles that don't get driven enough can quickly become lemons from sitting too much.

My buddy is learning this as we speak. He's been given a low mileage early 90's GMC dually with a 454 by a family friend. It's great old tow rig, no doubt, but it just keeps failing on him. Last month was the fuel pump. Today was an alternator.. And he hasn't even got to drive it more than a handful of miles..

That Ranger being an 01 model is also a bad year to buy IMO. Since it has 29 miles of timing chains with well-known defective tensioners and guides..

I'm watching the auction, as I suspect many here are. Hopefully it sells via Ebay so we can see a price, but I'm sure the price will be private if it sells for "best offer"

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I can see it fetching a premium if it was a 4x4, but being 2 wheel drive, I can't see it being worth more than what I paid (7000) for my 2001 with 52,000 miles, back in about 2009 or so. Remember, that truck is still 18 years old, and vehicles that don't get driven enough can quickly become lemons from sitting too much.

My buddy is learning this as we speak. He's been given a low mileage early 90's GMC dually with a 454 by a family friend. It's great old tow rig, no doubt, but it just keeps failing on him. Last month was the fuel pump. Today was an alternator.. And he hasn't even got to drive it more than a handful of miles..

That Ranger being an 01 model is also a bad year to buy IMO. Since it has 29 miles of timing chains with well-known defective tensioners and guides..

I'm watching the auction, as I suspect many here are. Hopefully it sells via Ebay so we can see a price, but I'm sure the price will be private if it sells for "best offer"
I see where your coming from, but, if you paid 7 grand for yours, it being 8 years old at the time, take into consideration that the one listed has also appreciated in the past 9 years, so I don't think that the price is too out of line.
It looks like it's been garaged and well preserved. Granted, not a 4x4,, but it is in super condition. At 32000 miles, comes out to about 1500 miles a year...enough to "run it" and not let it deterioriate.
Granted, I would never use it as a daily driver....it would be a "show/weekend" driver only.
Like my 2009, it is just plain neat to find something that is well kept, totally stock, in that kind of condition.
It's at that age where KBB/Used Car Prices don't really apply....it'a strictly what a buyer is willing to pay. Not saying it's worth 11 grand to everyone.
And, if you bought a newer Ranger, 5-6 years old for less, lets say 4-6 grand, but then had to throw 2-3 grand into it over a period of time, then the 11 grand isn't so high if nothing is needed.
Also, remember, no one is producing a "small" truck anymore, even the new Rangers/Colorados/Toyos are "big" by comparison. That Edge is or will be a "time capsule" if kept in it condition.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
I just don't see it "appreciating" at all. It's just a Ranger. Not a collectible, classic muscle car.

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I agree, it will never be a collectable as there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. But, a 18-20 year old vehicle like that Ranger, or Mustang, or Chevy S-10, or any vehicle in pristine condition will bring a premium over the same year/veh that has been "used".
Personally, I would rather pay a premium price for an 18 year old vehicle that needs nothing than 5-6 grand for a 5-6 year old vehicle that I have to put bucks into, or even 2-3 grand for a vehicle that needs a lot like body/engine/interior work.
And, 11 grand is a lot easier to swallow than 40 grand for a new Ranger, especially if you are just looking for a "small" truck Yeah, you will pay a lot less if your just looking for a daily driver/work truck/Ranger, but that one is a pristeen "keeper" and may very well be worth the price.
Again, it's personal preference and just what an older vehicle is worth to me.
Grumpaw

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Small pick ups are increasing, both in value and in asking price.
No one makes a "small" pick up anymore, and the medium size like the new Rangers and Colorados are bigger and to get into one around 40 grand.
Smaller Rangers and yes, even Chevy S-10 /GMC in really good condition are getting hard to find, at least for "cheap"
I know a guy who basically traded a 91 GMC S-15, 4-cyl manual power nothing, rotten floor pans, rotten cab mounts, for a 95 Cherokee, lifted, 33s, just needed some exhaust work and rockers.

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I know a guy who basically traded a 91 GMC S-15, 4-cyl manual power nothing, rotten floor pans, rotten cab mounts, for a 95 Cherokee, lifted, 33s, just needed some exhaust work and rockers.
Yup, plenty of them and older Rangers in the "beater" class out there. I was referring to those in nice shape, that you could buy and just drive away and not worry about it crapping out on you . AC works, power accessories, if any, all work, dosen't need brakes, dosen't need body or interior work, ect.
Those that you don't need to dump $$$ into to make it reliable.
At 70 years old, I don't want to get into something that I have to constantly tinker with to keep it going. I enjoy working and maintaining my vehicles, just don't want to "rebuild" them...years ago, yeah I did a lot of restorations,
but now...nope...just want to drive and enjoy em.
Grumpaw