• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 ranger

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to add a wire to pin 19 or get the SGI-5E interface

But I am still puzzled about you getting a speed signal on the OBD2 reader????
Where is that coming from?
Is it correct, or close enough :)

GEM module or 4WABS module are the only 2 sources

DaimonCarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to add a wire to pin 19 or get the SGI-5E interface

But I am still puzzled about you getting a speed signal on the OBD2 reader????
Where is that coming from?
Is it correct, or close enough :)

GEM module or 4WABS module are the only 2 sources
The OBD2 reader seem to read the correct speed from 50 all the way to 80

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then you have a speed signal at the PCM, just not sure from where, my guess would be from 4WABS?

But transmission shifting should be OK if so

On the PCM pin 58 should be a grey/black wire, on a 2000 Explorer PCM, thats "speed signal in" from 4WABS
So lets assume thats the case

PCM connector numbering here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/4-0l-ohv-sohc-v6-tech-33/62644d1377656726-anyone-have-97-4-0l-ohv-pcm-pinout-97-explorer-pcm.png

Check that pin 58 is the grey/black wire
You will need to splice into this wire, and run wire into cab and splice it to instrument clusters, grey/black wire, don't cut the grey/black wire, splice into it at both locations, as that should get Cruise working as well

There will be a grey/black wire at pin 19 on 4WABS so you can splice in there instead of PCM, up to you

DaimonCarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then you have a speed signal at the PCM, just not sure from where, my guess would be from 4WABS?

On the PCM pin 58 should be a grey/black wire, on a 2000 Explorer PCM, thats "speed signal in" from 4WABS

PCM connector numbering here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/4-0l-ohv-sohc-v6-tech-33/62644d1377656726-anyone-have-97-4-0l-ohv-pcm-pinout-97-explorer-pcm.png

You will need to splice into this wire, and run wire into cab and splice it to instrument clusters, grey/black wire, don't cut the grey/black wire, splice into it at both locations, as that should get Cruise working as well

There will be a grey/black wire at pin 19 on 4WABS so you can splice in there instead of PCM, up to you
I guess I'll have to use the 58 pin on the PCM wiring instead of pin 19 on the 4wABS cuz there's no pin or wire in 19. Other than wiring into the cluster where else do I need to wire into

DaimonCarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic

There's no wire at Ben 19 on the ABS so I will have to use the 58 on the PCM and wired into the cluster and what other location just to be clear.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there a grey/black wire on 4WABS?

The PCM must be getting Speed Signal from somewhere

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On 2001 V6 Ranger, speed signal comes from PCM (now missing). 2000 Expo speed signal comes from ABS and G-Force transducer (not in Ranger) so, nothing to generate a speed signal.

Options: Graft in Expo ABS and G-Force sensor or consider a Dakota Digital solution.

If lucky, the current transmission will support a gear driven VSS making for an easy and inexpensive solution.

Thedrill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 xtra cab
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, New to the forum, I have followed this thread and have tried to get my speedometer working, (2001 3.0 ranger with 2000 mountaineer V8 swap) I connected a pin to my 4x2 ABS pin 19 , also connected a wire to pin 58 on the ecu, connected them both to pin 1 on the black cluster plug, (grey/black).
I still have no speedometer working, do I need the mountaineer ABS unit swapping in?

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, New to the forum, I have followed this thread and have tried to get my speedometer working, (2001 3.0 ranger with 2000 mountaineer V8 swap) I connected a pin to my 4x2 ABS pin 19 , also connected a wire to pin 58 on the ecu, connected them both to pin 1 on the black cluster plug, (grey/black).
I still have no speedometer working, do I need the mountaineer ABS unit swapping in?

Thanks.

You should probably start your own thread for this

2001 Ranger used the OSS sensor on the transmission for the speed signal

The Computer(PCM) got the OSS signal, about 30,000ppm(pulses per mile) and then converted that to the 8,000ppm that the speedometer and cruise control needs, so in 2001 and up Rangers the speed signal came from the PCM

2001 Ranger won't have the speed conversion software in the ABS module

I think the simplest and easiest method would be to use a Dakota Digital SGI-100BT interface, about $115 now
It also allows for better calibration and tire size changes

Seen here: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1192/mode=prod/prd1192.htm
Click on installation manual

You have already run the speed out wires, to PCM and cluster, so you just need the speed IN wires which can be accessed at the ABS module, the rear axle ABS sensor's 2 wires, pins 21 and 22 on 4WABS module
You may only need 1 wire, test the connector plugged in key off
Test OHMs to Ground, one should be 0 ohms and the other 1400 ohms or so, 0 ohms would be the ground of course so you should only need to tap the 1400 ohm wire to get the ABS rear axle sensor pulses

Ford uses the 8,000ppm AC signal so just 1 wire OUT, to PCM and speedo(and cruise), it only used the top(+) half of the AC sine wave for the pulses
Vehicle's ground completes the circuit

Last edited:

Thedrill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 xtra cab
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi RonD,
Thanks for the reply, I do not mind buying the Dakota digital 100BT interface, I still have the Mountaineer for parts if there is another way of doing it?
I read that someone connected pin 19 from the ABS to pin 32 on the C146 grey plug and got the speedo working.
Also someone said about linking pin 1 on the black plug on the cluster to the pin 8 of the gem...

Im not afraid of wiring or mechanical challenges.:coffee:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is the wiring diagram for the 2001 Ranger 4WABS module

I don't have one for the 2000 Mountaineer

The Explorer/Mountaineer 4WABS modules could also be programmed for tire size, i.e. Rotations Per Mile, but not sure what device was used for that
In case calibration is off

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals