• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 running rich, no power, poor MPG’s

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2001 running rich, no power, poor MPG’s,rough idle

New member here. I have a 2001 3.0 automatic 4x4 with 180k on the odometer. I’ve had the truck for several years and it never has really run right. I have treated the engine with seafoam, Clean the mass airflow sensor, and I went to change the plugs expecting them to be fouled but found them to be in pretty good shape. They were a nice tan color. They did not look like fouled plugs indicating a rich running motor. Instead of changing them I cleaned and gapped them because I may treat the motor with seafoam again. As the title says the truck has no power and only gets nine or 10 miles per gallon. I expected the plugs to be fouled but was surprised to see that they were not. I also replaced the coil pack about a year ago because I had a misfire codes on the scanner at NAPA. So my question is if the truck is running rich and is getting bad gas mileage why wouldnt the plugs be fouled? The truck does run a little better after the work I have done to it. I filled it up again and will be checking in. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
New member here. I have a 2001 3.0 automatic 4x4 with 180k on the odometer. I’ve had the truck for several years and it never has really run right. I have treated the engine with seafoam, Clean the mass airflow sensor, and I went to change the plugs expecting them to be fouled but found them to be in pretty good shape. They were a nice tan color. They did not look like fouled plugs indicating a rich running motor. Instead of changing them I cleaned and gapped them because I may treat the motor with seafoam again. As the title says the truck has no power and only gets nine or 10 miles per gallon. I expected the plugs to be fouled but was surprised to see that they were not. I also replaced the coil pack about a year ago because I had a misfire codes on the scanner at NAPA. So my question is if the truck is running rich and is getting bad gas mileage why wouldnt the plugs be fouled? The truck does run a little better after the work I have done to it. I filled it up again and will be checking in. Any help would be appreciated.
What grade Gas are you running?

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any codes? In memory?

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
P0300, p1684

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit

P0300 seems to be the culprit for the rich running. It makes sense for clean plugs because there isn't just one cylinder running rich, so the plugs stay clean. I don't know the ignition system on your truck but I would start with that. Unfortunately I can't help more than that.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If there is an ignition module, try that. My impala misfired on every cylinder and had zero power, thing barely ran. New module and it runs like a top. Not EXACTLY sure of the setup on that truck but maybe similar?

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I did changed the ignition coil pack a year ago with no change in performance.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you seafoamed the engine... it probably cleaned the plugs a certain amount. That would alter the plug read to an extent.

What kind of plugs are they? Anything other then Motorcraft or Autolite in my experience just don't perform as well.

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
motorcraft platinum agsf32fm

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ok...

I think I would put a vacuum gauge on it and do a little checking to see if there is an exhaust restriction. With the misfire code you're dumping a bunch of unburned fuel into the converter. Google restricted exhaust testing for the how to. It may not be the problem... but you can eliminate that possibility easily.

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought seafoaming the engine would foul the plugs. Truck has 180,000 miles and is almost 20 years old. I may seafoam the engine again since it probably has never been done.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Mechanic in a bottle isn't likely to accomplish anything but pissing off the cats.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit

P0300 seems to be the culprit for the rich running. It makes sense for clean plugs because there isn't just one cylinder running rich, so the plugs stay clean. I don't know the ignition system on your truck but I would start with that. Unfortunately I can't help more than that.
Do you think it could be a bad injector or pcm issue telling the injector to stay open longer? I am probably way off the mark just a thought.

Kesh2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don’t know about the injectors. I did put a mechanics stethoscope on them and they all sound the same. After doing the above service that I described I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. I will wait for the check engine light to come on again and check codes again. It does feel like there is more power and it runs a little better but I don’t think it’s 100%.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals