• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ecoboost swapped Ranger build thread

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information!
No problem! Personally I wanna see more of these swaps on the road. As of now I'm pretty sure mine is the only one. I've had a handful of people personally contact me about details on the swap and honestly I think at some point it would be fun as a little side hobby to fabricate custom motor mounts for this swap to sell for people that dont have a welder and all that. Thats the main thing that seems to hold people back. Aside from the motor mount being custom everything else bolts up fairly easily.

walthagl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
No problem! Personally I wanna see more of these swaps on the road. As of now I'm pretty sure mine is the only one. I've had a handful of people personally contact me about details on the swap and honestly I think at some point it would be fun as a little side hobby to fabricate custom motor mounts for this swap to sell for people that dont have a welder and all that. Thats the main thing that seems to hold people back. Aside from the motor mount being custom everything else bolts up fairly easily.
Sketch it up send it to me and I will create a drawing for you.
whagl@cfl.rr.com

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Honestly, if I ever tire of the 4.0 and feel the need for more power it will probably either be this or a 4BT.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
Sketch it up send it to me and I will create a drawing for you.
whagl@cfl.rr.com
I dont have dimensions on hand and tbh I dont really feel like working any more this weekend. Just spend 12 hours straight painting my truck yesterday.

erl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have much to add but just wanted to say thanks for your post!
I have a 2002 Ranger 2.3 Duratec that spun a bearing (at least I believe, haven't torn it down yet) a couple years ago. I've been saving it to do this swap (or the 2.3 ecoboost) once I get the time and money to start. I drove it until it died with 265k miles on it, and I just loved it too much to give it to the junkyard for $100.
My hope is to find a ecoboost mustang from copart or somewhere as a donor, and see how much I can swap from there. I had been searching for a while to find a thread with some more details on someone who did it, and finally find yours a couple months ago. So thanks for all the good info, as it will come in handy down the road (don't hold your breath for my build thread haha).

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
I don't have much to add but just wanted to say thanks for your post!
I have a 2002 Ranger 2.3 Duratec that spun a bearing (at least I believe, haven't torn it down yet) a couple years ago. I've been saving it to do this swap (or the 2.3 ecoboost) once I get the time and money to start. I drove it until it died with 265k miles on it, and I just loved it too much to give it to the junkyard for $100.
My hope is to find a ecoboost mustang from copart or somewhere as a donor, and see how much I can swap from there. I had been searching for a while to find a thread with some more details on someone who did it, and finally find yours a couple months ago. So thanks for all the good info, as it will come in handy down the road (don't hold your breath for my build thread haha).
That’s great to hear that you want to do an ecoboost swap! Right now I think the only option for a 4 cylinder ecoboost swap that bolts right up would be something from a 15-16 mustang or focus rs. As of right now ford does not sell a controls pack for the 2.0, it’s been discontinued for some dumb reason. I heard from Mike Johnston at rebel devil customs in Indiana that there is some talk of ford re-releasing the pack however. No clue when, just a bunch of talk about it. But as for a 2.3 bolting right to the trans, it should work fine. BUT if you can find an ecoboost mustang with a 6 speed manual, I’d take that in a heart beat and use that trans. Even if you do have to make a custom shifter and what not it would probably shift worlds smoother than the ranger 5 speed. If you have any questions on your swap throw them my way and I’ll try to help as best as I can!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
This has been a very interesting read. I'm a little late to the party here but I think you meant to post "2013+" when it comes to Escapes with an EcoBoost engine. My wife has a 2012 with the V6 but I know that the 4 cylinder unit in the 2012 Escape was not an EcoBoost.

2012 was the last year of the "boxy" Escapes (I believe last year of the original platform). 2013 Escape was "all new" and had the 2.3 and the dual turbo 2.0, IIRC.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
This has been a very interesting read. I'm a little late to the party here but I think you meant to post "2013+" when it comes to Escapes with an EcoBoost engine. My wife has a 2012 with the V6 but I know that the 4 cylinder unit in the 2012 Escape was not an EcoBoost.

2012 was the last year of the "boxy" Escapes (I believe last year of the original platform). 2013 Escape was "all new" and had the 2.3 and the dual turbo 2.0, IIRC.
Idk about dual turbo. only dual turbos ford has are the v6 ecoboosts and if I recall correctly their 2.2 (?) or whatever it is diesel they offered on the 2012-2017 or 18 rangers over in mexico or whatever. And you are correct about 2013 being the first technical year of the ecoboost, however I think there was a handful of 2012 that were the same spec as 13. 2013 was also the first year for the focus ST, and 2015 I think was first for the ecoboost mustang.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I may be wrong about the "dual turbos" the 2.0 has "twin scroll" technology which I may have misunderstood as dual turbos. Anyway, you get either a 2.5, 1.5 or the 2.0. The 2.0 is the engine that's rated to tow which is why I know a little about the engine line-up. My wife is thinking that she'll move up to an Explorer since the Edge isn't much bigger, inside, than her current Escape. The new Escapes are definitely smaller than her '12.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
I may be wrong about the "dual turbos" the 2.0 has "twin scroll" technology which I may have misunderstood as dual turbos. Anyway, you get either a 2.5, 1.5 or the 2.0. The 2.0 is the engine that's rated to tow which is why I know a little about the engine line-up. My wife is thinking that she'll move up to an Explorer since the Edge isn't much bigger, inside, than her current Escape. The new Escapes are definitely smaller than her '12.
yeah twin scroll on an already extremely small turbo makes boost come on so quick. Like dangerously quick in some cases. If I throw my truck in 5th and lug it at 1200 rpm is can make 20 psi of boost, which in that case would cause low speed pre ignition and damage lots of stuff. Its best to rev these motors up to 2500-3000 rpm before you actually put them into lots of boost.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@02 EB swapped ranger, did you ever say what transmission and rear gears you're using.
And no heat, but what about a/c?

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
No AC, I am however running an aftermarket heater core in the cab. Trans is a stock 2002+ 2.3 ranger trans. 3.73 rear gears and a 7.5 open diff.

Scatt515

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So this is the Ford Focus SVT engine?? I see you did mention it came out of a escape but i was unaware they used this zetec engine that long! And you used the stock 4 cylinder manual trans? I am really interested in this swap! nice work man

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
So this is the Ford Focus SVT engine?? I see you did mention it came out of a escape but i was unaware they used this zetec engine that long! And you used the stock 4 cylinder manual trans? I am really interested in this swap! nice work man
nope this is completely different than the 2.0 zetec. Aluminum block, timing chain, direct injection and all those other modern goodies. the zetec is a great platform but putting one of those in a ranger would be really complicated. rwd trans that mates to a zetec is really uncommon in the states

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals