• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ranger Edge Brake Issue

TheBigToe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
02 Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
We have a 2002 Ranger Edge 3.0 gas. Its a step side extended cab. Has the 7.5 differential with disc front and drum brakes back. We have owned it 5 years. Bought it with 140k miles and its at 195k now. Its been my sons daily driver. Its always had stopping issues. Ive completely bled the system. Everything is new front and back completely replaced. It has serious stopping issues. No stop is more like it. We replaced everything just prior to getting it inspected and it wouldnt pass. Took it to a parking lot... ran it forward and backward a few times, took it back and it passed. I have to run the truck backward to adjust the brakes every so often or it simply doesnt want to stop.

I have searched the forum and online and cant seem to find this issue.

Any input is appreciated.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Can you describe the symptoms a little more. Is the pedal soft and mushy? Is it rock hard? Does the pedal feel normal but the truck just doesn't slow down? Abs or brake light on? Does it pull, or shake while driving?

When you say "everything was replaced" does that include lines, master cylinder, booster, calipers, wheel cylinders? When you bled the system did you ever get air down past the master and possibly into the ABS block?

Realistically your back brakes could stop working completely and your fronts are strong enough that you could still stop safely. So I would lean towards the front brakes or something all 4 brakes share. AkA a master cylinder, booster, or abs issue but need more info.

Last edited:

TheBigToe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
02 Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
As far as replacement goes... not everything. Rotors, bearings, pads in front and drums and shoes in back. Everything has been inspected, cleaned and seems to be in good working order. Everything else is original. Did have to replace the brake booster right after we bought it.

No lights on.

Ive bled the system several times. I never let the master cylinder get dry... just try to get the fluid coming out the fittings as close to normal looking as possible.

Pedal feels normal. No excess travel. Doesnt slowly fall towards the floor when stopped and holding the pedal like the master cylinder is bad. Not making noises. I have had the ABS fail in an Excursion, and its going out in my F350 so it doesnt do anything to make me think the ABS is having problems.

The fronts will stop it, but not quickly. I can tell when the back brakes stop working and the load goes to the front.

No pull or shake while driving other than comes from the BFG 31x 10.50 AT. Most miles are highway as we have a 60 mile round trip commute.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your input and time.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Jack up the rear and spin the wheels. The brakes should feel like they are just slowly scratching the drums. If not, they are out of adjustment. The back brakes should self adjust (if the system is working properly) but your talking tiny tiny increments over many thousand miles. if you are finding they work one day, and are out of adjustment the next... something is very wrong.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
What brand of pads and shoes did you use? I've seen some aftermarket pads and shoes that didn't stop worth crap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals