• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger 2.3L Duratec swap to 2000 4.0 SOHC

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
My 2003 Ranger's 2.3L DuraTec spun a rod bearing. I purchased a 2000 Merc Mountaineer with a 4.0L SOHC/Auto/AWD and am considering a full powertrain swap. Given that all components in the Merc are functional, what would be major problems to overcome?
I'm thinking that the width of the driveline is the same. The other issue could be that the front end won't bolt up to the 2wd Ranger's frame.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With everything that you'd end up swapping, it might be worth it to just do a body swap.

Or, sell your duratec truck, and just get a 4.0 4wd ranger and swap in the Explorer transfer case if you really want AWD instead of 4wd

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
While I understand what you're saying, I've had the Ranger for all but 10K of it's life. It's in showroom condition and I waited 10 years for this truck before buying it. I maintained it exceptionally and it's the truck I always wanted. So that all being said; I wish the engine wouldn't have given out on it because I really enjoyed the 30+ mpg and the spirit of the duratec. Besides I already have a 4wd Ranger supercab.

I've thought of the body swap, but hadn't done any serious looking into it. Based upon your suggestion, I just checked the wheelbase and both are identical. I'd thought the Merc was much longer. You might be on to something. I'm going to look further into this as it would provide read disc brakes, a 5 speed OD auto and the SOHC engine.. Thanks.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If memory serves, if the mountaineer is a 4.0 SOHC its already a 4wd, you couldn't get the V6 with AWD.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
The 2000 Mountaineer is a 4.0 SOHC and is only spec'd as an AWD. Even if it was full time 4x4 I wouldn't mind.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals