• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 edge 3.0 swap

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 04 edge that just had a valve spring break and caused some damage.I have to buy a new head for sure. I am considering doing a full motor swap. I was wondering if I could put a 4.0 in, what would I need to change. I have a manual transmission now and would prefer to keep it that way, do I have to find a motor that has a manual also or doesnt it matter? Also what years are compatable with mine?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To put a 4.0 in you need everything that touches the engine. A trans, the wiring, engine mounts, possibly some fuel lines, and the exhaust manifolds, maybe the Y-pipe. And the computer.

You can pull an engine from 02 up. You don't have to get an engine from a vehicle with a manual trans, but there may be some other parts you end up needed if you don't, like a flywheel.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You would also need the instrument cluster from the 4.0l vehicle
2004 and up Rangers have the HEC cluster which is "married" to the engine computer at the factory
So your current instrument panel wouldn't work without current 3.0l computer, and visa versa

And not a good swap in any case since you can go out and buy a 4.0l Ranger already done up at the Ford factory, for less that it would cost to do the swap.

Fix your 3.0l or swap in another 3.0l, sell your 2004 Ranger and get a 4.0l Ranger, you will be ahead money wise and for sure time wise, lol

Now a 5.0l V8 swap is not out of the question, Ford didn't make Rangers with those :)

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ok thank you for the info. I may do a swap at a later date when I know I have a good donor then. I will just repair my current one for now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals