• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 Mustang 4.0 issues

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"body on new poly body mounts
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
Was recently given a Mustang that my dad got from a friend and had a bunch of work done to it. Car was hit in right front and fender and front bumper were replaced by a shop. The defroster does not blow warm at all is the first issue. A/C works perfect and car does not run hot at all. I live in Central Florida so I am thinking its not a cooling system issue, unless someone removed the thermostat. I think it has no coolant because whats in the radiator is a rusty brown color. The other issue is the key works in the ignition and trunk but not in door lock. Should it? Key will not even go all the way in so its possible one is broke off in it. Any help appreciated

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
Removed overflow tank cap and ran engine for a while. A lot of brown water came out. After I shut it off and engine cooled, topped it off with clean water. warm air again. This weekend going to flush system and fill with proper coolant.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, a real good flush. The rad is probably got gunk in the bottom 3 or 4 inches. You will never get rid of it. Keep that in mind if you have overheating problems. Also take the heater core connections off and flush it going both directions. When you hook it back up reverse the hoses so coolant runs in the opposite direction. Leave one heater hose off when filling the system, making sure its the highest point. That way air is purged out easier. Once coolant starts coming out hook it back up.

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
Thanks. Was curious on how to get air out. Good idea

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 4.0 is very easy to purge air from, especially if it has a degas bottle and not just an overflow tank,

I like the heater hose method myself, but if that doesn't work out just over fill the degas bottle by about the amount of the "full" zone, then drive it until the temp gauge spikes hot. It will purge itself at that point.

If it just has a recovery/overflow tank do the same thing, but instead of overfilling the tank just drive it and once the gauge spikes and goes back to normal pull over and top off the radiator.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, is the 4.0 in the Stang different than the one in the Rangers? According to the webs, it's 210 hp. I recently bought an 07 Stang with a 4.0. I'm actually quite happey with it. Previous owner put headers and a dual exhaust on, but stock airbox. First thing, I put a WeaponR intake on it, with a velocity stack that mounts in the grill and a hose that routes to a fitting on the end of the filter. Runs even better now. Also put a Prod Racing strut tower brace on it. Got a few body parts coming for it. Front spoiler, side scoops for the two rear windows and side scoops for the body in front of the tires. Car is dark blue with flat black stripes, hood scoop, lower body side mouldings and R Spec rear spoiler. So for the present, deciding if I want the side scoops flat black or painted to match.

I'm liking the car a lot for a V-6. Only problem right now, is the previous owner had a new water pump, all new hoses and thermostat installed. It's leaking coolant out of the heater hose that attaches to the thermostat housing, and can't get it to stop no matter how tight I tighten the clamps. I'll get it eventually though. It's a really small nuisance leak is all. I could probably spot some black RTV around the bottom of the hose and it would stop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals