• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 ranger losing oil

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My dad has a 2005 ranger with the 2.3 engine and recently it starting losing oil somewhere.It will go down almost a quart within a week (about 150 miles)He has a check engine light and he took it to ford and they thought the pvc valve was plugged so they replaced it and the truck was fine for a few days and then the CEL came back on and the oil went back down.They did a compression check and it has 170 pounds on all cylinders and the spark plugs they said were clean when they pulled them so its back to square one.Its really been a mystery of where the oil is going.When it sits for a day or two there are no puddles under it and nothing noticeable comes out the exhaust when its running which would back up the clean spark plugs.Is there something were missing on these engines.I would rather have the lima 2.3 any day over these.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How many miles are on the engine? At a quart per 150 miles I cant concieve of a scenario where it's not smoking a ton, or leaking a ton... What are the codes from the CEL?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the clean-burn and cats on the Duratecs are amazing. my 2005 has 342,900 miles on it and consumes a quart of oil per tankful of gas. absolutely no visible smoke from the exhaust,,,,no rust on the inside of the exhaust either!!

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It has 145k miles and I agree on the cats not making oil consumption visible.Ive told people for years as its not just duratecs that cat convertors burn out or otherwise get rid of oil vapor leaving your exhaust.Thats why many a convertor has gotten plugged up and damaged an engine but this one ford did a compression check and cylinder leak test and then said rings are fine which this deal happened all the sudden.It was losing not a drop of oil in 4k miles and then all the sudden it would lose a lot of it in just a few small trips.There were no codes thrown by the computer..only the check engine light comes on which doesn't mean it will have codes.Those are only thrown when a sensor goes bad.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There were no codes thrown by the computer..only the check engine light comes on which doesn't mean it will have codes.Those are only thrown when a sensor goes bad.
None of that is accurate.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
None of that is accurate.
Second that. The check engine lights is a direct response from the computer telling you there is something wrong whether it is major or minor.

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Second that. The check engine lights is a direct response from the computer telling you there is something wrong whether it is major or minor.
That is true but when a sensor is bad the computer will throw a code for it which you recover when running a scan..A check engine light comes on when there is trouble that the computer cannot throw a code for or tell you whats wrong.Ive been through that twice now on other cars.I took a mustang in once to ford because of a miss and had a CEL coming on.It turned out to have a bad terminal on the distributor cap.The other time I had a coil going bad..it still worked but was weak..Ford told me me the very reason of a CEL is because the computer cannot throw a code for the problem you are having and I had ran a scan and came up with nothing.That was the reason I took them in.Of course these were early 90s vehicles so maybe that's all changed.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Obd2 has over 2000 potential codes. The computer see's a problem, reports the appropriate code related to the problem and the CEL comes on. You cannot have a CEL without a diagnostic code. This was true even on OBD1 vehicles. Also not all scanners can read every DTC. So just because you throw some cheap autozone scanner on it and find nothing does not mean there isnt a code stored in the computer.

It would be absolutely impossible for a CEL to come on if the computer didnt see something not working within the predetermined specs. If it see's low voltage on a coil pack the CEL comes on and it will report a code related to low coil voltage.

You need a new ford dealer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals