• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 Sport Trac 5.0 swap plan

Jordaar71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All,
My name's Alex and I have an 05 Sport Trac with close to 300k on the original engine and transmission. It's still a great truck, no timing chain rattle, not even leaks to speak of. 4wd works, AC, most of the power windows and locks even. BUT, it's got to be on borrowed time and I just picked up an 01 V8 Explorer, the next steps are obvious. It's going to be a while as I'm building the 302 with a goal of 325/325 with EFI. I just want to say I have already read a lot of great info here and plan on posting questions and accomplishments come fall when I begin the swap. Thanks for all that I've read from others doing this swap and thanks in advance for the help I may need coming up.
Alex

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You will need to bring over the 2001 Explorer instrument cluster, I think the 2005 may be HEC(hybrid electronic cluster) full digital dash, Ford switched over Rangers in 2004, not sure when Sport Trac was changed

The HEC's are "married" to the computer(PCM) at the factory, this prevents odometer swaps which was common on older Fords
And the HEC gets most of it gauge readings from PCM, and it won't accept any other computer's data, only its "soul mates", lol.

Jordaar71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the information, that was one of my questions. I have a complete donor Explorer as well as an Explorer 5.0 and ECM in the garage. One of my other concerns is the PATS system, as I just don't know how it works. Thanks Again.
Alex

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PATS uses RFID tags embedded in the key handle, these need no batteries, each key has a unique "number", a digital ID
The PATS software in the ECM or a PATS module, reads the RFID tag number then compares it to a list of 3 or 4 numbers in its memory, the keys that came with the vehicle when it was new.
If a match is found then ECM(PCM) will turn on fuel injectors for start up, no match, no injectors

Fuel pump and starter motor may also be disabled, but the big anti-theft deterrent is no injectors.

As long as you have at least one of the 2001's working PATS keys then you can get engine running

Around the ignition key slot is the "transceiver", its a powered antenna, it is used to read the RFID tag, it is only vehicle model specific, it fits the steering column key cylinder set up, all have the same 4 wires, 2 power and 2 data, so can be swapped around.

Last edited:

Jordaar71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a ton, RonD! That all makes sense to me however the Explorer 5.0 and PCM I have in the garage has no keys. Since I'm changing cam, injectors, exhaust and plan on having it Dyno tuned can the PATS be disabled with the new flash? If not I suppose this PCM is useless to me and I'll have to either get a key made from Ford by s/n (did not budget for this) or find another PCM with keys, right? Does the PCM need to be Explorer V8 or would any Ford 5.0 box work as long as I get the associated key(s) with it? As in, could I snag a Crown Vic ECM and key?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, most PCM programming devices can flash a "no PATS test" software to the PCM, so same as deleting it

Jordaar71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Transmission
Automatic
Whew, that's good. Thanks again! There's tons of information on these forums and I'm reading everything that has to do with 5.0 swaps. I'm looking forward to a hotrod ST as much as the process. If it weren't for much of what I've learned here I'd have encountered a whole lot more headaches than I anticipated.

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals