• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 Ford Ranger Issue (NEED HELP)

06DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all first time posting on a forum so here I go haha I own a 2006 ford ranger 4.0L 4wd manual and I'm having an issue. Today I changed my doors and rear doors with my parts truck that my father uses to plow it is the same exact truck except automatic and 2008. Everything went well and it was a little annoying to line up stuff but went good. I have an issue as when I installed the rear doors on each truck as we essentially switched because mine are rotten and he just uses the truck to plow, when re plugging the sensor/speaker in my dome light is acting funny and my speaker does not work. When I close the rear door the dome light will stay on even though in the old truck it never did and even in my truck it never did. Also with my key out of the ignition the speaker in the rear makes a popping buzzing noise until I turn the key ahead and back. I also noticed my dome light when the door is open kicks off after about 30 seconds and I hear a click as it happens. I thought maybe it was just a fluke but it's happening in both trucks and all I did was swap the doors. Sorry about the long post but I'd appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

There is a door sensor(a ground) on each door latch, front and rear
The dome light should come on with either front door open, so not sure what you mean the dome light doesn't come on or go off with rear doors closed or open since one of the front doors would have to be open, so light should be on regardless

The rear door sensors are just for the "Door ajar" light, tells driver a door is not closed all the way, doesn't say which door, front or rear, left or right

The door sensors ground the wire going to the SJB(body computer) and SJB will activate the dome light relay
So if you unplug the door sensors 2 wire connector, it won't ever ground the SJB to turn on dome light, or Door Ajar light

Not sure on rear speaker, reads like its plugged into a power wire, not amplifier, or maybe old speaker was bad and new one works and amplifiers is bad
Radio should stay on with key off, until drivers door is opened

06DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I understand that and appreciate the quick response! but the doors never did this before I mean occasionally they did but just a hard slam would get them to kick off. I slam the rear door shut and its locked in both latches but the light stays on. and what I noticed is when I open the door the dome light usually stays on until the door is shut but the light shuts off after 30seconds it I hear a click and it kicks off. My speaker is also buzzing and popping and I only noticed this when I switched the doors and the other truck does it as well now which they never have done previously. What I think is there is something up with the wire I disconnected located behind the rear seat that connects to the rear door. Seems when I unplugged it and re- plugged something occured. I thought maybe I plugged it in wrong but it only goes in one way.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be short in the wires next to the doors, I think they run under the carpet/vinyl along the edge and working in that area could have caused the issue

Like you said its only 4 wires, 2 connectors so not much to goof up, so I would look else where

Dome light should be on when either front door is open, the switch is in the latch so even if rear door was open and you held front door on that side closed light would still be on because door is not "latched" to rear door

There is a timer in SJB that will shut off dome light, but its a 30 minute delay not 30sec, and timer doesn't start until all doors are closed and key out of ignition

06DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alright thanks Ron im gonna try to take a look at the wiring tomorrow when the suns out again. Dont have a garage at the moment! Hope i didnt screw anything up by forgetting to disconnect the battery before i started!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals