• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 b4000 V6 4.0 timing question.

Billgrieve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
I know a older lady selling her 2008 Mazda b4000 v6 4.0 4x4 with 115000 km She bought the truck new and always brought it to a ford dealer for her matiance ....I live in a small town and only have a ford dealer..She didn’t realize the oil was a little low and it caused the timing chain to losein and skip or one of the timing chains failed ..I’m not sure what side is the problem..The truck starts but runs rough..She was told by ford it wasn’t worth fixing so she bought a new vehicle form then ..She is now selling it for $1500 Canadian..This think Doesn’t have a spot of rust ,Brand new tires and new backrack and a newer push bumper..It won’t need much for a certification..My question is after doing a bunch of reading and looking at corsponding pictures it seems to be quite the job ..Is there a way to tell what side the timing chain has failed ? I really want to buy it but not sure If I will be able to fix it if the engine needs to be pulled ..If It’s only the right side from what I read it can be fixed with the engine in the try..Any help would be appreciated..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, you could do a compression test, 4.0l SOHC should run 170psi compression, 9.7:1 ratio
Low side of engine has skipped chain

If it ran low on oil it may have other issues, and timing shouldn't have skipped from running "a little low" on oil in any case, so that diagnoses is suspect in my opinion
And if chain did slip then it may have bent valves, so 0 compression on some cylinders

Mazda B4000 will sell for lower price the Ranger 4.0l of the same years, not sure why, its exactly the same truck, lol, bit they do

I would look up the value of 2008 B4000 and Ranger 4.0l in your area

Then look at the cost of swapping out the engine, should be some used 4.0l SOHC engine with 100k or less miles around, VIN E
Its about a 10 hour job for the swap, actually 8 hours, lol, so say $1,000 labor
Use 2007-2011 4.0l sohc engine maybe $1,500 with fluids

So $2,500, subtract that from value and make an offer

The 2WD or 4x4 doesn't matter with this engine, "they" will say it does, it doesn't

Billgrieve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, you could do a compression test, 4.0l SOHC should run 170psi compression, 9.7:1 ratio
Low side of engine has skipped chain

If it ran low on oil it may have other issues, and timing shouldn't have skipped from running "a little low" on oil in any case, so that diagnoses is suspect in my opinion
And if chain did slip then it may have bent valves, so 0 compression on some cylinders

Mazda B4000 will sell for lower price the Ranger 4.0l of the same years, not sure why, its exactly the same truck, lol, bit they do

I would look up the value of 2008 B4000 and Ranger 4.0l in your area

Then look at the cost of swapping out the engine, should be some used 4.0l SOHC engine with 100k or less miles around, VIN E
Its about a 10 hour job for the swap, actually 8 hours, lol, so say $1,000 labor
Use 2007-2011 4.0l sohc engine maybe $1,500 with fluids

So $2,500, subtract that from value and make an offer

The 2WD or 4x4 doesn't matter with this engine, "they" will say it does, it doesn't
I don’t 100% believe the low oil story because everything else is in such good shape on this truck ..I thought that if the timing chain snapped it wouldn’t cause problems with the values ? I was hoping to just fix this engine ..I have found lots of the same truck selling for nothing less then $7000 ..But that’s in running condition..Thanks for your post

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is often confusion about the 4.0l engine because there were TWO 4.0l engines used in Rangers and B4000s
4.0l OHV, used from 1990-2000, it was a non-interference engine, valves CAN NOT hit pistons if cam gets out of sync

4.0l SOHC, used from 1997-2011, 2001-2011 in Rangers, it was an interference engine, so valves CAN hit pistons if cam gets out of sync

Point was to see the largest down side of the "mechanic's special" purchase, not to tell you what to do if you do buy it

From your description it reads like chassis and body are in good condition, so working engine is all it would need......worst case

If it has an automatic transmission it may need some work as well, manual should be fine

If 2008 B4000 has $7,000 value then I think the $1,500 price is reasonable, you should be able to do engine, and transmission, work and stay well under market value.
But you also need the money to do the work as needed, so the extra $2,500 worst case, if it only costs you $500 then great

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is often confusion about the 4.0l engine because there were TWO 4.0l engines used in Rangers and B4000s
4.0l OHV, used from 1990-2000, it was a non-interference engine, valves CAN NOT hit pistons if cam gets out of sync
While this is true, Ford has a "neutral" position on their cams where the valves won't hit if the chain is disconnected. I have worked on a few of these where the tensioner broke, and none had bent any valves. I tend to rate this as "Possible but unlikely".

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^......................but in worst case scenario it "can" happen.
So best to plan for the worst, a replacement engine, than to come up short in the money department and not get a working vehicle until you can afford to get another engine, so a $1,500 lawn ornament :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals