• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2009 Ranger TPMS Type ???

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Have a new set of rims coming in later this week and will be getting tires switched to them.
Want to keep the TPMS, but don't know the type that's installed now.
Is it the type that is part of the valve stem or the type that is held on with the bands?If bands, I need to order some, if valve stem type, new rubber stems..
This is for a 2009 Ranger XL, 2 wd 4 cyl.
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 09 has the banded style but if you're getting new you can use either type. I would get the stem style. All that matters is that you get the proper frequency. I can't remeber if its 315mhz or 433mhz. If your just swapping the old sensors to the new rims, you need to buy the bands. But at 10 years old the batteries are coming up on the end of their life...

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Agree. I prefer the valve stem type. New bands for the old sensors cost almost as much as new stem sensors, so I'll go with new.
Maybe someone will chime in with the frequency, I'll get em via Amazon.
Thanks Dirtman
Grumpaw

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not sure about the frequency either. Usually the better dual band sensors can operate on both all the time and just need to be trained to the vehicle, not programmed with the dock tool.

I like the stem style sensors better myself because they are much easier to service when they fail. The only thing I would say about switching over from the band style ones is that any time you take the truck in for anything that is going to involve breaking down a tire, you need to tell the service writer, and make sure a note gets put on the RO that it has stem sensors, not band sensors. A lot of guys get into auto-pilot mode, and just break the bead opposite where the sensor SHOULD be, without looking at the stem to see which style it is. That is going to bust up a sensor real quick, and then they will probably try to blame you for not telling them it's in the wrong spot.

Personally, I have found breaking the bead 90* from the valve stem eliminates the risk altogether. Only once has that ever caused me a problem, when I caught the worm clamp nut of a replacement band, that was installed out of place.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 09 shop manual lists the original sensor base part number as 1A189. Doesn't specify the frequency, but doing a little googling shows that "family" of sensors is 315mhz.

But... in case I'm wrong, probably better to do what ADSM suggested and just get the dual frequency sensors.
:iamwithstupid:

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Thanks guys. I had the Ranger in for the airbag recall yesterday and talked with the head service guy. In at 3pm, out at 4pm. Told me the stock sensors on all Rangers were the 315 type. And, 99.9% sure it's the banded type. So, now to find a good deal on a set, and will probably go with the valve stem type.
The pic is of the Vision wheels I have coming in. Went old school, my preference, and in gunmetal finish.
Grumpaw

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals