• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Ecoboost Oil Change Interval

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
All this internet talk of catch cans. Would that impact the warranty at all? My gut says no but I’ve had a dealer try to tell me my aftermarket intake voided the warranty when my brake calipers failed at 15k.
I’m curious if I should get a catch can, especially if there is no harm in getting one. I commute in this rig in the winter and I only drive 2.5 miles each way. In the summer I hope to ride my bicycle.
No way.. no how am I installing one while the truck is under warranty.

Think about this for a minute. On our 2019/2020 Rangers the catch can manufacturers tie into a rubber vacuum line that is very short and then supply (2) 4 foot long rubber vacuum lines that go to / from the catch can. PCV valves open and close based on the amount of vacuum at the PCV valve. There is a pressure drop associated with those longer vacuum lines they supplied. Did they take that into account?

A guy over at the ranger5g.com site put a catch can on his truck. He then noticed the truck was getting a lot of gas in the oil. Every time he checked the oil dipstick, the oil level was higher and it wreaked of fuel. I suggested he remove the catch can... but he didn't. He takes it to the dealer... they have no idea what's going on.

Another guy posted photo's of what was in the catch can and said it was mostly fuel! You want those fuel vapors to get pulled through the system and piped back into the intake manifold... so those vapors will help clean the deposits off the valves!

The Mustang guys swear by the catch cans. But the motors in the Rangers are not identical, and there are specific differences.

The fact that the can collects "stuff" doesn't mean that "stuff" would have hurt anything if the can wasn't there.... in our Rangers....

If these catch can folks really wanted to convince us they would take two new 2019 Rangers, install a catch can on one Ranger, leave the other Ranger bone stock, and then drive the trucks, one following the other, for lets say 8,000 miles. Then take off the intake manifolds and compare the deposit build up on the intake valves.

You can't take some guy who has a catch cans word that it helps unless he pulled the intake manifold off, inspected the valves, then put on the catch can, drove the truck for a bunch of miles, then pull off the intake and inspect the valves again and saw a marked improvement.

Until some real world testing is done.... I'm not going to take their word for it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ask a VW owner If catch cans work. They do. And auto makers know this as well which is why pure direct injection is being phased out for dual injection. One injector sprays into the cylinder and then every so many cycles a second injector sprays on the intake to flush the intake valve. I have a catch can on a non direct injection engine and the stuff in that catch can is nasty. It's a 100% proven issue with direct injection not a myth. It's the pcv system that causes the problem. When you vent that moisture, oil, gas mix back into the intake its gross. But gasoline flushing past the valve cleans it off. A dry intake valve getting covered in that gunk its gonna be nasty. Been proven, it's a thing. The earth isnt flat, direct injection + pcv = dirty intake valves.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Ask a VW owner If catch cans work. They do. And auto makers know this as well which is why pure direct injection is being phased out for dual injection. One injector sprays into the cylinder and then every so many cycles a second injector sprays on the intake to flush the intake valve. I have a catch can on a non direct injection engine and the stuff in that catch can is nasty. It's a 100% proven issue with direct injection not a myth. It's the pcv system that causes the problem. When you vent that moisture, oil, gas mix back into the intake its gross. But gasoline flushing past the valve cleans it off. A dry intake valve getting covered in that gunk its gonna be nasty. Been proven, it's a thing. The earth isnt flat, direct injection + pcv = dirty intake valves.
So you have installed a catch can on your 2019 Ranger that's under warranty .... right?

Nobody is saying intake deposits don't happen, the question is, on the new 2019 Ranger, is it enough of an issue that it will cause a problem. The Ranger motor is different than the Mustang and certainly different from a VW.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I pulled an intake off a ‘17 F250 6.2l...

A catch can wouldn’t hurt.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No way.. no how am I installing one while the truck is under warranty.

Think about this for a minute. On our 2019/2020 Rangers the catch can manufacturers tie into a rubber vacuum line that is very short and then supply (2) 4 foot long rubber vacuum lines that go to / from the catch can. PCV valves open and close based on the amount of vacuum at the PCV valve. There is a pressure drop associated with those longer vacuum lines they supplied. Did they take that into account?

A guy over at the ranger5g.com site put a catch can on his truck. He then noticed the truck was getting a lot of gas in the oil. Every time he checked the oil dipstick, the oil level was higher and it wreaked of fuel. I suggested he remove the catch can... but he didn't. He takes it to the dealer... they have no idea what's going on.

Another guy posted photo's of what was in the catch can and said it was mostly fuel! You want those fuel vapors to get pulled through the system and piped back into the intake manifold... so those vapors will help clean the deposits off the valves!

The Mustang guys swear by the catch cans. But the motors in the Rangers are not identical, and there are specific differences.

The fact that the can collects "stuff" doesn't mean that "stuff" would have hurt anything if the can wasn't there.... in our Rangers....

If these catch can folks really wanted to convince us they would take two new 2019 Rangers, install a catch can on one Ranger, leave the other Ranger bone stock, and then drive the trucks, one following the other, for lets say 8,000 miles. Then take off the intake manifolds and compare the deposit build up on the intake valves.

You can't take some guy who has a catch cans word that it helps unless he pulled the intake manifold off, inspected the valves, then put on the catch can, drove the truck for a bunch of miles, then pull off the intake and inspect the valves again and saw a marked improvement.

Until some real world testing is done.... I'm not going to take their word for it.

Decide what you want but the carbon deposit issue on direct injection engines is an issue.

Different Ecoboost Engine but the same issue and this guy is a Ford Technician. Granted, just because he is a Ford Tech doesn't make his word gospel but he does go through the issue and what he has found on his own personal vehicle.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Has anyone taken the Rangers 2.3 engine apart to find/verify this kind of issue??

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't think anyone has enough miles yet for it to make a difference at this point. All we have is what other people have found on their direct injection engines that have not been updated to direct injection and intake injection. With ones with the direct and intake injection have been produced to combat, if not eliminate the valve coking issue.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fig. 5: EcoBoost intake valve deposit at 20,000 miles

(Below, is a portion of a article, written in 2018--Those of us that bought early-maybe we will get a "retrofit"????)

Larger, harder and more crusty GDI deposits often require preventive maintenance to prevent sputter, misfire, hesitation and loss of volumetric efficiency and power. It’s very important to keep reminding motorists that preventive maintenance can help avoid costly repairs down the road. Even drivers of low-mileage vehicles are at risk. Need proof? Check out Fig. 5, which is a tech’s borescope showing an EcoBoost intake valve deposit at only 20,000 miles.
Do dual fuel delivery systems eliminate the need for preventive maintenance? Certainly not — especially with deposit problems affecting both PFI and GDI engines.
The best way to fight engine deposits is to “deposit” preventive maintenance, to keep an engine functioning well and help customers avoid expensive repairs.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So really at this point nobody has an answer if this 2.3 does this. Is the Mustang engine close enough to use that as a comparison?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If I remember correctly, the Mustang version has a higher output and some of the configuration is a bit different because of the expected duty the engine is going to perform. I think the basic overall engine core is the same, just the accessories and how the computer controls it is different.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
So really at this point nobody has an answer if this 2.3 does this. Is the Mustang engine close enough to use that as a comparison?
No. Similar, but different.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
What makes them different from every other DI engine?
Again, what makes it different than any other direct injection engine? :dunno:
According to the article below the Ranger motor is based on the Focus RS motor... but it's not the same, there are differences:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a15840269/ford-focus-rs-ranger-engine/

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals