• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd Perkins diesel to 4wd conversion

DownRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all.

I'm the proud owner of a 1984 Perkins powered 2 wheel drive Ranger with the 7' bed and 4 speed manual tranny. Truck is in decent shape. The engine runs like a top.... a typical Perkins top. Slow and noisy but really cool!

I also have a 1986 lifted 4X4 Ranger with the 2.9 V6 with a 5 speed manual tranny. Motor is seized.

My question is can or has anybody attempted to convert a diesel truck with a 2 wheel drivetrain to a 4 wheel drivetrain from a gasoline powered truck. I have never seen a Perkins powered 4x4. Not to say Ford didn't make one but I've only seen the latter year turbo diesel versions with 4 wheel drive. I'm thinking that changing the axles on the 2 wheel drive truck with the ones from the 4 wheel drive truck shouldn't be much of an issue. But the truth is I really don't know. I would think it should be a pretty simple swap. I am assuming both trucks have the same chassis but I don't know for sure. Can anyone help?

Additionally I don't know if Ford had any transmissions/transfer cases that would work with a Perkins diesel. I read somewhere that the bell housing on a 2.9 tranny has the same bolt pattern as the transmission bell housing that mates to the Perkins but I can't find that info anymore. I also heard there may be an adapter. Same with the 4x4 crossmember, will it accommodate or interfere with the Perkins oil pan?

Bottom line is I'm not Ranger expert and am looking for any information that would or can help me before trying to attempt this conversion.

Any help, advice or expertise at all would be appreciated.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
iirc you may need some oil pan mods with the actual perkins.

count the trans pan bolts and check the bell to trans case mount spread, bells may change out...the tk4 and certain 5 speed kogyo did interchange. has the goofy ext slave on certain units though.

DownRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok well then that sounds like what I read. The pan needs to be shallower and a the oil pump needs a shorter pickup tube or some type of modification to fit the pan.

Any thoughts as far as the axle swap goes? I thinking it should be a straight swap out. That 4 wheel drive axles and spring mounts should bolt on the 2 wheel drive frame without too much difficulty. Am I wrong to assume that?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any thoughts as far as the axle swap goes? I thinking it should be a straight swap out. That 4 wheel drive axles and spring mounts should bolt on the 2 wheel drive frame without too much difficulty. Am I wrong to assume that?
The engine crossmember and axle brackets are different between 2wd and 4wd.

It would be easier to put the Perkins in the '86 (framewise) than the other way around.

Option C would be a solid axle swap, you could replace the engine crossmember with something that works better for you and use something like a Dana 30 front axle from a Jeep.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals