• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 intake manifold bolt kit

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
We are men of action, words do not become us
anyone know where I can get an intake manifold bolt kit for a 3.0? Rebuilding the top end and mine are pretty cruddy. Looked all over the Internet to no avail. Thanks.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think anyone makes one aftermarket and last I read Ford charges a crapload per bolt. Take a look at http://www.fordparts.com/ and see if you're ok with the price new, otherwise I'd be going to a boneyard and grabbing whatever bolts look nice there.

captaingeek

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
anyone know where I can get an intake manifold bolt kit for a 3.0? Rebuilding the top end and mine are pretty cruddy. Looked all over the Internet to no avail. Thanks.
how about the local hardware store? a good one will have a selection of brand new bolts. pull all the old bolts and bring them with you to match them up.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can try a hardware store but I doubt you'll find what you're looking for.

1. They're some pretty long and skinny bolts, if we're talking the upper intake (8mm x 120 mm or so)
2. They're metric which makes finding them even more difficult in the good ol' US of A.

Another place I thought of was http://www.boltdepot.com. I've used them for hard to find bolts in the past and they had very good service. It looks like they have some pretty long 8mm bolts you could use.

basketranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
fastenal.com maybe?

fithers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Manual
BIG BUMP

Snapped 3 of my 6 upper intake manifold bolts my 2000 Ranger XLT 3.0 V6 4x4 Manual Transmission while putting it back together today. I've been chasing down a misfire in cylinder 5 for a while and finally came to replacing the fuel injector. Got the upper intake manifold off fine, replaced that fuel injector no problem, new gasket, everything going back together good to go. I was tightening down the 6 intake manifold bolts, what I thought was my torque wrench clicking into place once I hit my mark was actually bolts breaking. 3 of them snapped, thankfully was able to get them out with channel locks without too much trouble. Anybody ever figure out a good source for these bolts? Summer is flying by and man I am stuck.

This looks like they have them

My upper intake manifold has this layout, despite what autozone says for the 3.0

So far these are proving tough to find.

fithers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Upon another look it's actually 4 different bolts, all 6 are 13mm hex heads. 2x long 15cm, 2x long stud 12cm (14cm w/ stud), 1x short stud 8cm (10cm w/ stud), 1x short 8cm.

fithers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Manual
part numbers I just got from a local Ford dealership, got these results at https://parts.ford.com/

short bolt W701544S309 (MSRP: $30.00)
2x long W706375S309 (MSRP: $10.00 pack of 4x bolts)
short stud N807515S8 (MSRP: $126.34 ouch)
2x long studs W701909S309 (no search results)

wondering if I could use 2 of the long bolts in place of the long studs, those studs are used to mount the ignition coil. Would use spacers to adjust for the modification. Could also maybe the a 2nd short bolt in place of the short stud and save a small fortune, the only thing that mounts to that short stud is a cable clip I could figure something else out for with a zip tie or something somewhere.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Personally I would get a right length and diameter bolt. I just rebuilt my B3000 from the block up and had this exact issue. In my case I lucked out and still had all the oem hardware in good shape, but you don't want leaks from trying to use the wrong bolts. If ford still has the right bolts in stock somewhere I would go for it and feel secure the right hardware is in the right place.

fithers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I did end up ordering the ford bolts from their parts website with the exact part numbers. The short bolt and the short stud are the same length and size, and the only thing that mounts onto the short stud is a cable clip. instead of spending $130 on just the short stud I just got 2 of the short bolts and will rig something up for that clip.

fithers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Manual
aaaand these bolts are not the right size at all... awesome.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
www.belmetric.com. They should have what you need. A bit expensive as you have to pay for the shipping and the fact that the bolts are weird sizes, but they have a huge selection of metric fasteners. Do you need the bolt call outs? I think I they are listed in the factory service manual I have.

fithers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Manual
ended up getting some M8 1.25 20cm allthreads from McMaster-Carr, will double nut and cut down to size for the shorter bolts. Ford has left me no other option ha

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
ended up getting some M8 1.25 20cm allthreads from McMaster-Carr, will double nut and cut down to size for the shorter bolts. Ford has left me no other option ha
Great idea, easier and cheaper. I may do the same. I ordered a Taurus intake for my 3.0, it will be here Friday.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
A couple of my lower intake bolts are that way on the 5.0 because I couldn't find the correct ones (without ordering for ridiculous prices, that is).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals