• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 manual oil pressure guage install

oleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody install a manual oil pressure guage in a 3.0? Which one did you use and what adapters did you use to get it to thread on the motor? I been lookin at puttin one on mine since the factory guage is practically worthless. Any ideas suggestions.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
do a web search for "rogue performance ranger"

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

you need a "T" fitting if you want your stock gauge to continue functioning along with the new gauge.

any brand/style gauge will work...they are all the same. just get whatever one fits your wallet and looks good to you.

oleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll probably just do like you got in the picture there and not worry about the stock one. Where did you mount your guage inside the truck?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats actually a picture of the "T" fitting. the stock sender sticks out behind the head and cant be seen.

i mounted my gauge under the ash tray, under the edge of the dash.

oleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh ok I didnt see the T on it. Where did you get the T fitting at lowes or somewhere like that, or at the parts store?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i got it at the parts store i was working at at the time (napa) because we happened to carry hydraulic fittings.

any shop that carries hydraulic fittings will have one though, as its national pipe thread (the most common type of fitting). if memory serves, its 1/4" NPT (female fitting into the block...so you need a "T" with one male end and two female ends). i then needed a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer for the pressure fitting for my mechanical gauge (most gauge "kits" come with one of these, but not the T).

oleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the help, I'll try up at the Napa and see what they have. Thanks again Wicked Sludge.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your napa probably wont be able to help you. we carried hydraulic fittings because we were one of the few places in town with a crimping machine for making hydraulic hoses to supply the fishing boats.

the guys behind the counter can probably point you in the right direction though...parts guys are usually "in the know" :beer:

oleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I'll see what I can come up with. I appreciate it.

nedirtbikr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

you need a "T" fitting if you want your stock gauge to continue functioning along with the new gauge.
Noob here. Did some searching and came across this thread (good info.)

I have a '99 3.0. This truck has been bullet proof (well, not including some rear brake problems.) Anyway, I'm suffering the same oil gauge problem with mine. First off, I just want to confirm some things. I know nothing is "for sure," but it seems like most trucks with this problem are likely to be "mechanically" fine (appears to just be a crappy gauge.) If so, that is good.

The common fix appears to be aftermarket gauge(s.)
1. Is there a "kit" out there that will come with all parts needed (gauge, piping, etc.?)

2. When installing a mechanical gauge, will that mean the oil, in essence, will travel "through" the gauge to register its pressure? Meaning, there will be an oil "path" running through my firewall into the cab? If so, improper installaton or accidental damage to the gauge could result in oil getting inside the cab, right?

3. Wicked Sludge - that's a great picture you have, but I'm having trouble visualizing exactly where that is under the hood. Any further hints?

Thanks!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can buy oil pressure gauge "kits", which usually come with a few adaptors, the gauge and bracket, and a length of tubing. these are "universal" kits so they do require a little bit of adapting (running and trimming the tube, identifying which adaptors to use, ect.). you will have to buy the "T" fitting seperatly if you want your stock oil pressure gauge to function.

the gauge recieves pressure readings from your engines block via a single tube running to the back of the gauge. there is no flow through the gauge, however if the tubing is damaged or a fitting leaks, there is a possibility of oil leaking from the tube/fittings. sealing your fittings with teflon tape will ensure a good seal...and routing your tube carefully (avoiding kinks and chafe points) and securing it along its length with cable ties will ensure it doesnt become damaged.

the only oil pressure fitting on our engines is on the block behind the passanger side head. that picture was taken with the upper and lower intake manifolds and my distributor off. i added the fittings while i happened to have the heads off the motor. heres a a shot of the stock sender with both heads removed:

nedirtbikr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a ton for the info and new picture. I'll start looking for a gauge! Appreciate it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals