• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Mystery Noise

Fordblue213

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2000 3.0 Ranger has had a mystery noise for a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-cekrjAcPc

Finally cured it with a new tensioner. You can see in the pictured how the belt was riding towards the front of the pulley on the worn out tensioner making it squeal as it was going onto the crank pulley. The belt being out of alignment was rubbing the sides of the ribs. The temperature of the belt and pulleys would make the noise come and go.

Here is the video of the new tensioner installed and running properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZt6GhXyqk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work

Anytime you have a noise its a good idea to remove fan belt(s) and start the Stone Cold engine, and then listen for the noise
You can run a Cold engine for 2 minutes without water pump, or alternator, but no longer

Engine bay is VERY Quiet when fan is not spinning

If no noise then shut off the engine, and start spinning the pulleys, noise in the the fan belt system

Fordblue213

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had removed the fan and clutch during troubleshooting. That had me worried it was a water pump. Luckily it wasn’t.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In 2002 I had to change the tensioner on my 98 3.0 for the exact same reason. Actually, I didn't know the tenisoner was bad and was driving it one day when the belt came entirely off and shredded. Was at a stop light, and the temperature gauge started climbing fast. Turned the heater on full bore, got away from the signal light and off the side of the road and shut it down. Temp gauge was almost to the red zone. OUCH!

Did figure out, once the belt was off that the tensioner was bad. New belt and tensioner, and it's been good since. The original tensioner lasted 4 years. LOL!
The new one has lasted 16. ROFLMAO!

Put a new belt on it in 2016 along with a new power steering pump (second one I've had to do in 160,000 miles). Factory alternator went bad this year. Still on the original starter and water pump.

Fordblue213

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I spoke too soon. After running for a while, there is definitely a noise from the water pump bearings also. Just ordered a Motorcraft pump from Rock Auto.

When I had the belt off to do the tensioner, I though the water pump spun a little too easily like a bearing was dry. It isn’t leaking so I’m going to keep driving it until the pump gets here.

Fordblue213

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One new water pump installed. The part that took the longest was getting the gasket off the timing cover.

I bought a Motorcraft water pump from rock auto. The impeller is fully enclosed compared the other brands available. But one thing on it that looked different is that the weep hole between the bearings is on the top of the pump compared to the one I replaced which was aftermarket.:

This just seems like it is asking for grime/oil/general trash to get in there. Luckily, my job keeps me well stocked in ear plugs, so I made a plug for it that should also let any pressure out if the shaft seal fails:

The old pump's bearing were really dry, so it was just a matter of time......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals