• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 to 4.0 or to 5.0?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yeah but if you don't move your firewall back 300-6 leaves you 2 inches to put fans, radiators, and any other coolers you may need in the engine bay.
Put an Efan infront of the radiator, dist is on the side, so, non issue. Its not an ideal thing to do, but its been done.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You have a case of selective amnesia about what had to be done with 300 swaps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You have a case of selective amnesia about what had to be done with 300 swaps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Truthfully its been so long i kinda do. I just remember it being a cool swap. Hell i aint seen s 300 in anything in a few years.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put an Efan infront of the radiator, dist is on the side, so, non issue. Its not an ideal thing to do, but its been done.
Efan in front barely cooled my 302 on its own. Pullers work a lot better than a pusher.

Personally if I wanted bigger I would stroke a 351W to keep a smaller footprint in the engine bay.

A blower on a 4.6 is nothing new either (well it kind of is in a Ranger but they take boost well in a Mustang)

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Has any body ever put the DOHC 3.o in a Ranger? or is that one NOT a Vulcan and there is no rwd tranny for it?

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with the 3.0's beyond the front wheel drive options of the 90s/00's and i know even less of the Ranger 3.0 other than I always felt it was 'meh' (not that I can say much with my 2.9 but they take my abuse and keep going...slowly...)

In reading the initial bit of this thread, you arrived at this path almost a year ago? Still no luck on finding a V8 or commiting to an option I take it? I just ask out of curiousity. I'm leaning towards putting one of my spare 5.0HO's in my 2wd 88 just to play with. Since the 351 requires more effort to accomodate tight clearances, I'm kind of at a point of meh yeah everyone's done it, but maybe I'll find a way to do it slightly differently.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I'm not familiar with the 3.0's beyond the front wheel drive options of the 90s/00's and i know even less of the Ranger 3.0 other than I always felt it was 'meh' (not that I can say much with my 2.9 but they take my abuse and keep going...slowly...)

In reading the initial bit of this thread, you arrived at this path almost a year ago? Still no luck on finding a V8 or commiting to an option I take it? I just ask out of curiousity. I'm leaning towards putting one of my spare 5.0HO's in my 2wd 88 just to play with. Since the 351 requires more effort to accomodate tight clearances, I'm kind of at a point of meh yeah everyone's done it, but maybe I'll find a way to do it slightly differently.
between me being a cheap skate and other things getting in my way, Yes, I'm still looking. Also looking for "other options" as well. Also got about 4 other smaller projects going on. I'm building a motorized bicycle, building a small greenhouse, cleaning and painting the frame of my Ranger, Two Kids that hog any free time I have , My daily job and I do odd jobs here and there for extra cash. Since I have a decent daily driver, I'm in no rush to get the right donor, I have a few feelers out there. My next step is to get a Fakebook account just so I can look at the Market Place. I've heard there are good deals there, too.

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah buddy, tell me about it. I've got 4 babies and life places us all in different states. From 1 to 17, I take any time with them I can possibly get, and it's never enough. My current trouble is all that free time I may have while I'm not with them (and it's too much free time lately), I've nowhere to turn wrenches. I can't drag my 88 from MS to TX and yank the engine in the apartment complex's parking lot. They frown upon such I believe. I was lucky I got the clutch done lowkey one weekend in my 86.

OH! AND LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THIS MARKET PLACE! Dude.... ok... so I don't care for facespace, AT ALL. But I do have an account because my late love said she wanted it to say 'in a relationship with' on her page... anyway, I might use it every pink, purple, and blue moon. So I'm bouncing around these forums, see a link to either TRS1 or TRS2 truck and i end up on facebook at the market place page. I've never used it before but I've been on that thing for a few days now hunting rangers, bronco 2's, 4runners, tacomas, accords, and burbans. It's a plethora of goodies, engines, transmissions, just everything if you've got a little cash stashed. I'm currently in the market for a DD so I can park Ole Red under the shed at the apt for $25 and stop putting all the miles on her :( She's going to roll over to 100k this Sunday.

Point is, Market Place, yes, now, lots of stuff.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Has any body ever put the DOHC 3.o in a Ranger? or is that one NOT a Vulcan and there is no rwd tranny for it?
It is not a Vulcan, it's an Essex (technicnally).

There are RWD transmissions for it. They were used in the RWD Lincoln LS6, with a 5R55 S or N trans, so it really wouldn't even be that hard to do it you are OK with auto.

They also had a Getrag 221 manual with the 3.0, but I don't know anything about those.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
So would a lincoln LS possibly be a good donor. Didn't some have tiny (jaguar) v8s? Would that v8 fit my Ranger? Just for giggles, I know I'm all over the place with these engine options, just wondering what's all out there

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So would a lincoln LS possibly be a good donor. Didn't some have tiny (jaguar) v8s? Would that v8 fit my Ranger? Just for giggles, I know I'm all over the place with these engine options, just wondering what's all out there
Yeah, the LS8s had the Jag 3.8 and 3.9L V8s in them, with the same 5R trans. I have actually toyed on and off with the idea of using an LS as a donor for my B2 at some point in the future.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Yeah, the LS8s had the Jag 3.8 and 3.9L V8s in them, with the same 5R trans. I have actually toyed on and off with the idea of using an LS as a donor for my B2 at some point in the future.
You said before that the LS motors made stupid fast power, I thought you meant Chevy LS. You did mean the Chevy ones right? What kind of power do the Lincoln LSv8 make?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You said before that the LS motors made stupid fast power, I thought you meant Chevy LS. You did mean the Chevy ones right? What kind of power do the Lincoln LSv8 make?
Yes, in that post I was talking about the Chevy LS series engines. Those can build power quick and easy.

The Jag small V8s are peppy enough in a small car like the LS or a Jag S/X Type. In a Ranger they might be a bit slower, but probably still a drastic improvement over a locked up 3.0, and certainly a unique swap.

Like I said, I personally do want to try an LS powertrain, because they are fun cars to drive, I just don't have the time or funds right now, and those cars aren't plentiful in my area.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
The Jag small V8s are peppy enough in a small car like the LS or a Jag S/X Type. In a Ranger they might be a bit slower
What about a 2wd swb Ranger?
And also , would my truck and a exploer 2door sport have the same wheelbase and or driveshaft?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It would probably move your Ranger around better than the 3.0 did. Maybe not as nice as a 5.0 or 4.6, but nice enough I imagine.

I'm not sure about the wheel base question, I know a regular cab short bed F-150 is not the same as a Bronco, I imagine the Ranger/Explorer comparison is going to be similar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals