• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Updates. and new questions

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have read through all I could find here and other places. I have a 2001 3.0 single cab. That engine will not stay in there but it will be a little while. While working towards my project I find myself wanting to do things to the 3.0.

1st question, has anyone used the Tom Morana parts? Ported intake, dual TB mod and so on? The dual TB intake claims 25hp 25tq. I think that is quite far fetched and would like to know if anyone has indeed try such parts.

I have been porting intakes and heads for 20+ years and this would be nothing to do. I do have a broken exhaust stud on one head so I will be pulling them. I will order the reman heads with the upgraded seats ($309.00) and port those, then swap.

2nd Question is are the old 5.0 Mustang rockers interchangeable? I have a few sets.

I know the engine was designed for torque and it does well, fighting the shear design could become a issue but i'm not asking for this one to see 200+ and 6k rpm lol. Just put some pep in it's step. Thanks, Jason.

wlfpck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe people have used the roller rockers and had some good results. As for the ported intake and stuff, I'm new to the Ford Ranger, so not sure if I'm correct or not in my assumptions...

I think some of the stuff he has is for the 3.0 is for the older 3.0 where it had the non-composite intake manifold. Then there's stuff like the "large elbow throttle body" and "4 barrel carb'd intake". I tried youtubing some of the stuff he has listed to see what it does and stuff like that but was not able to find much on some stuff.

He also has 2 different 60mm throttle bodies listed. One for 270 and one for 300. I'm honestly not sure what the difference is. Would you have to port the intake manifold to make it work? If so... the 53 mm should be a bolt on? BBK used to have the BBK 1902 which was a 56 mm throttle body for the 3.0. Can't seem to find one now. :(

I believe Tom Morana is one of the only people that makes stuff for the 3.0 though.

Here's a couple links to what someone had put together:

http://rogueperformance.com/RogueRanger.html
http://rogueperformance.com/boss.html
http://rogueperformance.com/bosslite.html

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got Morana's ARP head studs, upgraded valve springs and 1.8 roller rockers. No complaints. Not sure I'd spend the money/do the work to make one of the intake manifolds work unless you really wanted an "all motor" NA 3.0.

There's a bunch of material in the lower intake manifold that can come out and be opened up to match the ports on the heads/upper intake better:

Heads have plenty of areas for improvement too. Some go more hog wild than others. Here's my "medium" amateur port job:

Those were the first things I ever ported, so they were a learning experience. I'm not embarassed by them, but I could've done a better job too.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I have ported several 5.0 intakes with great success. I think I will start there. Flow all of the intake 1st. Does anyone make a long tube header for us?

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
'Course I was always told "there is no replacement for displacement."

Just wish Colorado emissions would allow me to do the 5.0L V-8 swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals