• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L V6 pings at low RPM

The Person

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
First time posting

I have a 2005 Ranger xlt with the 3 litre vulcan mated to a M5OD that recently developed what sounds like low rpm detonation. It has 147,600 on the clock. It only makes the noise when it is warmed up, and only below 2000rpm. I have recently replaced the coil pack (old one was cracked) and cleaned the MAF. The new coil pack did seem to reduce the intensity of the noise. Cleaning the maf made no difference. It hasn’t thrown any codes as of yet. I know vulcans are prone to pinging so is this normal or should I be concerned?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Just to rule out a carbon knock, I'd try some Techron or I've recently had some luck with this stuff from HotShots called gasoline extreme. I've only tried it once but it made a difference with the next tankful. Made it worse for the tank that I added it to, but then was much better after the next fill. I usually have to decarbon mine twice a year and I do the decarbon protocol in the TSB. I'm due again. I get the PM3 from the dealer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals