• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.5L ecoboost or bust

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Here just to keep up with the build. Nice build so far.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Do you store your tractor at the Chevy Dealership? That tractor is surrounded by Black Chevy Trucks. Maybe theu're eager to get to haul something...Oh wait never mind, there is a Dark Gray F-150 to do the work. lol

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
You've definitely got a huge thumbs up from me. Ive only wrenched on 4 banger ecoboosts but I'd definitely like to see a 3.5 in one. Funny because I was actually thinking about one in the future and ditching my 2.0L. Should be some crazy power for a ranger. The controls packs ford makes for most of their motors makes swaps like these a hell of a lot easier.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It just sucks that those control packs all run around $2000

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Do you store your tractor at the Chevy Dealership?
No, the picture was taken after to drove it to work. That was a fun drive. 18 miles at a blistering 12 mph ;missingteeth;

Babies are hard (especially with two other kids) and Mid-west weather sucks. Past week the only thing I have managed to do is get the fuel pump installed into the tank. The Walbro installation kit made it an easy swap though.

The controls packs ford makes for most of their motors makes swaps like these a hell of a lot easier.
It just sucks that those control packs all run around $2000

I wasn't going to do the swap unless I was sure I could control it. The ford packs are expensive though, even more so when you consider the engine was $3000 from the salvage yard. I did look at the Holly Dominator EFI, but after you bought the wiring harness and the special VVT controller for the Camshafts (what they use for the coyote) it was about the same price.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I figure it's just a matter of time before the aftermarket steps up and makes their own Ecoboost harnesses that are slightly more affordable. Although that might be wishful thinking.

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Progress!!! . . . sort off!

Last week, beautiful day, had ever intention of going out to the garage and getting stuff done. Laid down on bed while changing out of my work clothes and next thing I know my wife is asking if I wanted to say good night to the kids because it was there bed time. I had slept the night away :bawling: babies are hard.

I knew engine mounts were going to be a challenge since I couldn't find anybody that had done this swap before, so I went into this knowing I was going to need custom mounts. I went to one of my favorite stores in town, Steelmart. Give you two guesses in what they specialize in :p. Got a 7 foot long, 5 inches wide, 5/16 thick off cut for 25$. It's the thickest I can go with my welder and it probably WAY overkill for what I need. I used the F150 mounts that were on the engine already (they were messed up from the crash) as a template to cut out the start of my mounts.

They aren't pretty, but I can clean them up after I finish them.

What is Pretty is the frame in the engine compartment. Finally finished getting the rust treated and everything painted as well as I could. There was one hole I had to patch and I refuse to put up pictures of that mess... worst welding I have ever done, kept blowing through the frame welding in the patch panel. Probably not a good sign; I don't think I will be taking this frame to the drag strip like I had hoped.

I have been getting parts in though. I have all the parts to get fuel from my tank to the engine. Ended up getting Earl's Vapor guard hose and fittings. Glorified rubber hose, but it seem a lot easier to fix then your "normal" AN fuel lines if I am road tripping the truck and the fuel system gets issues.

also got a bunch of bulk brake line to replace all the nasty rusted junk. Need to pick up all the hoses to replace the stuff I have... I was going to just reuse my brake hoses, but I stripped one out by accident, and they do look to be on the gross side. Might as well replace them all.

also picked up one of these:

The ideal being I can drill a hole, insert the thread insert, and bolt on a P-clamp and get ride of the stupid plastic clips holding the brake and fuel lines in place.

Hoping I can get the engine in the truck this weekend, but we will see how things go. :dntknw:

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1558143587081.pngWhere doid u find these at?

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual

Well, it sort of fits :dntknw:

The turbos want to occupy the same space as the control arm mounts and the steering shaft. This is forcing me to move the engine farther forward and higher than I wanted too. It's also causing me to notch the cross member for oil pan clearance. Even with that, I have to move the steering over about 3 inches to get it around the turbo. Hood clearance might be a thing too, but I will cross that bridge when I get there... In the meantime, I have a rock auto coupon code about to expire and I think it's time to spend some (more) money.

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Have you ever seen those composite engines? the ones they make just for mock up that are fairly light, but are a couple hundred bucks... Today I understand why those are a thing. This weekend alone I had the engine in and out three times. We did finally get some decent weather here in Iowa, and the in-laws came out for the weekend so I got some relatively guilt free work done in the garage.

I got the cross member notched for clearance. I didn't want to just cut the notch and not put some strength back in, so my original plan was to us some 10 gauge 3 inch angle iron. Steelmart isn't open on the weekend and the farm store (Blain's farm and fleet) didn't have any three inch so I got creative. I started with this:

and with some welding ended with this:

I welded it with a flux core MIG welder so it gave me a lot of slag and sparks :annoyed:. Otherwise the welds are good and strong. Here it is burned into the truck:

I am holding the piece I cut out of the frame for reference.

On the bright side I was able to reuse the transmission cross member and mount it to the stock holes. It will still take some modifications, but it's holding the transmission in it's place. I'll clean it up when I pull the engine out after I tack together the engine mounts. The engine still sits about an inch higher than I would like, but to drop it any more and I would need to push the upper control arm mounts out. Makes me wonder if I would have these problems if I had started with an Edge with the torsion beams? maybe they would have more clearance :dntknw:. Either way I am nearly to the point where the engine and trans are mounted and I can move on to making everything else fit.

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Is it better to have a few updates with big changes and lots of pictures, or more, shorter updates with occasional pictures?

Over this past week I got the engine mounts done.

With those done, it means my engine is mounted. I feel like it should be a bigger moment then it is, but now that it's in, I open up this GIANT list of other things I have to do. Re-route the steering, clean up and finish off the transmission tunnel, mount the gas peddle, figure out the clutch master cylinder and it's limit switches, finish the brake lines, run the fuel lines, move the battery tray, mount the front core support, notch the frame for the radiators..... the list goes on.

On that last Item. I bought a 2014 mustang 5.0L radiator since it looked like the closest thing that would fit between the frame rails.... It didn't it's about 1 to 1.5 inches to wide. So instead of sending it back and hunting for a new one that checks all the boxes I need, I am just going to make it fit. Why not, I have already had to notch the frame, why not a little more.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
any update is good. pics are always better

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This will be a very interesting build to follow. If you ever get it across the state let me know.

My brother just dragged home a '53 70 last month, it is a tad bigger than my B lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals