• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

31 spline FX4 Level 2 replacement question

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162800
hey guys, i looked around the forums and couldnt find an answer to this question, so i figured i'd post up a new thread.

here is my question.

I have a 2009 FX4 Level II 31 spline 8.8 rear end.

I am looking to replace the axles in it with something heavier duty than stock.
and I can't seem to find anyone who makes replacement drop in axle shafts for these specific trucks.
I've hit up Strange, Yukon, Jeggs, Summit, and Moser (moser never actually got back to me), and everyone says, this would have to be a custom ordered, custom made item.

this rear end is going in my 400hp v8 swapped 83 ranger street rod.
I'm swapping the Torsen differential out for an Eaton Detroit ratcheting Locker, and plan on installing a Chassisworks bolt in 4 link suspension system at the same time, along with a Swarr bar to keep from spinning tubes.

I went the fx4 Level 2 route because i found one for cheap, it has the spring perches in the correct spots, its the same width as my current rear end, and i wanted to stay drum brakes in the rear.

however, i'm having trouble finding axle shafts for it now that i have it, and i'd rather not have to trust myself to correctly measure everything for custom made shafts... plus pay custom made shaft prices, if i don't have to.

any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone
67583720_10105048873952939_997508546792783872_n.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've had axle shafts custom made through Moser for one of the sand drag cars... Don't remember the specifics.... other then they were pricey!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I. Ran into the same thing trying to find c-clip eliminator kits and new shafts for mine. I gave up.

Why don’t you want the Thorsen? I would expect that to have better drive ability for a street machine as opposed to the ratcheting locker. I put Aussie lockers in mine. But mine is primarily for off-road use.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I've had axle shafts custom made through Moser for one of the sand drag cars... Don't remember the specifics.... other then they were pricey!
Yeah that's my thing.
Moser Sells upgrade alloy Axel kits (shafts, bearings, c clips or c clip eliminators, everything else you need for install) for 31 spline foxbodies, 31 spline crown vics, a few other 31 spline cars, and 28 spline rangers. They aren't super expensive and seem like an Awesome deal. I just can't find anything for these 31 spline rangers.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I. Ran into the same thing trying to find c-clip eliminator kits and new shafts for mine. I gave up.

Why don’t you want the Thorsen? I would expect that to have better drive ability for a street machine as opposed to the ratcheting locker. I put Aussie lockers in mine. But mine is primarily for off-road use.
I've driven things with torsens in them before and they always seem squirely to me when you actually hammer on them.
Just not a huge fan.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Some one correct me if I am wrong but aren't the specs for the 95-02 Explorers axles shafts the same as what is in the level 2 axles for width and length?

If so here is your info to search for the kits you have found for the 31 spline's to get the stronger axles. Many company's will give you the axle specs if you request them, well that is if they really want to sell their products.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Some one correct me if I am wrong but aren't the specs for the 95-02 Explorers axles shafts the same as what is in the level 2 axles for width and length?

If so here is your info to search for the kits you have found for the 31 spline's to get the stronger axles. Many company's will give you the axle specs if you request them, well that is if they really want to sell their products.

I thought I had read somewhere the explorer axle is longer on one side than the ranger ones. The 31 spline fx4 rear end is the same width as the 28 spline version ranger, so I'm not entirely sure the axles are the same length as the 31 spline explorer or the 28 spline ranger. I also am not positive if it's EXACTLY the same width as the 28 spline ranger, or just really close. The spring and shock perches are all in the same spot. Woof.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
USA Standard Gear USA21910 for the left side, not sure what the right side is, try 21909
1541H
$185.79 on Rockauto,,it's listed under 8" axle for 2002 application, but does say FX4

it doesn't seem to appear on the USA Standard Gear website, at least not where I looked.
their part numbers go something like F8800xx
I can't find the Ford numbers, yet.

Last edited:

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
so even though all the manufacturers essentially said "nope. needs to be custom made. cough up allllllll the dough" amongst my dozens of emails to every company i could find on google, East Coast Gear Supply (which seems to be a predominantly off roading rear and front end supply company) got back to me and quoted me - F880070 YUKON 1541H ALLOY 5 LUG LEFT 31 SPLINE 30-1/8" (1559 BRG 1.620" ) CONFIRM BRG SIZE AND SPLINE, and
F880069 YUKON 1541H ALLOY 5 LUG RIGHT 31 SPLINE - 27.25" (1559 BRG 1.620" ) CONFIRM BRG SIZE AND SPLINE

at $175 each.

they also said they can quote me the whole install kit with everything needed, plus the Detroit locker, and new 4:10 gears that i should probably replace while im in there anyway.

i need to double check the axle shaft lengths, but i trust myself doing that much more than i do measuring all specs from scratch for the shafts, and also i like the price allot more than having shafts custom made for me.

according to Yukon, the 1541H shafts are about 25-35% stronger than stock shafts.

i'm hoping those, plus a brace to keep the tubes from moving, and a 4 link setup eliminating hop, should make the rear end pretty indestructible behind the current 400hp.
eventual long term plans for the truck are a 351 based 408 stroker, and a mild roots blower. shooting for 600-700 hp range on pump gas. in a 2600 pound truck, i'd like this rear end to hold up to that as well. i've heard of 3300 pound foxbodies running 8s with stock 31 spline rear ends and suspension and bracing work, so that's kind of why i'm hoping im good.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think you'll be fine with stock shafts in a street application. Offroad I'd be worried about it a little with 400hp but that's not the case here. May want to think about a custom 9" or something like that if you make much more power though. 8.8s are fairly stout but have their limitations. I'd be shocked if we ever see much aftermarket support for FX4 axles... they are relatively uncommon.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think you'll be fine with stock shafts in a street application. Offroad I'd be worried about it a little with 400hp but that's not the case here. May want to think about a custom 9" or something like that if you make much more power though. 8.8s are fairly stout but have their limitations. I'd be shocked if we ever see much aftermarket support for FX4 axles... they are relatively uncommon.
There's lots of foxbody guys making 1000-1300hp and launching 3200 pound cars with 8.8s. the 8.8 itself isn't much of a concern to me. Plus the added weight of the 9" is something im trying to avoid.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd like to see a weight comparison between say, an FX4 8.8 fully dressed and a narrow 9" with disc brakes. I bet they're very close.

Have you looked at the Yukon Ultimate 88 kit? Just a thought but you could dump the FX4 axle and build an Explorer axle instead...since you're putting gears in it and everything... and have better shafts and eliminate the c-clips at the same time. I realize getting drum brakes to work there might be a stretch though.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
according to the foxbody forums, a built 31 spline 8.8 fully braced weighs a little over 50 pounds less than a narrowed 9".
I'm currently at 2750 with 15 gallons if gas.
and i could do the explorer setup, but i have the fx4, and i'd need to put the spring perches back on for the chassisworks 4 link anyway.
I've heard not-so good things about the c clip eliminators weeping like crazy, having short lifespan, and just not being well suited for anything regularly street driven. so my plan was to stay away from them. plus i'm not super comfortable with cutting the axle tubes and welding the eliminators on correctly myself. allot of guys opt to install 9" ends instead of the c clip eliminators. same amount of work, same outcome, no leaking, longer life.
in all honesty, the clip eliminators only help you if you snap an axle shaft.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
OK. putting F880069 & F880070 into Jegs comes back with Yukon 21910 & 21909. (add 807- for the Jegs #. )
they list at $237.25 maybe searching the alternate numbers can cough up a better price someplace.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
OK. putting F880069 & F880070 into Jegs comes back with Yukon 21910 & 21909. (add 807- for the Jegs #. )
they list at $237.25 maybe searching the alternate numbers can cough up a better price someplace.

Is that per, or for the pair?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals