• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

33x12.5x15

rangermx25

Reaction score
This mite be a noob question i dunno im just gettin started into to trucks and i got a 99' Ford Ranger 4x4 and all ive done to it so far is flowmaster 40 series pipes, a toolbox, stereo, and 9 foot whip antenna, and about 2 put in a cb radio. my question is i am gettin a 3 inch body lift and some 15x7 wheels for my bday. Will 33x12.5x15 mud tires fit on my truck w/o wheel spacers?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
with a 3" lift, the tires should clear....but i'd recommend a 9" or wider rim for 12.5" tires or else chances are good that your going to have wear problems.

rangermx25

Reaction score
o ok thanks. o yea and will 4inch backspacing be good?

Last edited:

06yellowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe 4" backspacing will be fine, and as a rule of thumb I wouldn't go with a tire more that 3 inches wider than my wheel, so I'd go with at least a 9.5" or 10" wheel, just my opinion

Boomer

Reaction score
I agree with wicked sludge on the wheel width...in the very least you need a 15x8 for 33x12.5's. 4 inch BS will be fine...you will find it harder to keep the truck clean due to the tires sticking out more than stock but I make fun of super clean trucks anyway so who cares. Don't get me wrong...I clean my truck but that usually trips my offroad low level light and I have to go find a trail to get the light to go out.:D

rangermx25

Reaction score
alright cool yea i guess ill go w/ 15x10 wheels cuz i coodnt find any 15x9 so thats what ill do thanks guys and sorry i forgot to ask but isnt the bolt pattern 5x4.5?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yep, 5x4.5.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, factory backspacing is 3.75", IIRC.

I'm running 33's on 15x8's on my choptop without issue, 3.75" backspacing.

If you want to have a good treadwear, you're gonna have to play with the tire pressure though. I'm currently running 15psi front and 12psi rear in my choptop and I'm not fully convinced yet that I have it low enough yet. From what I've been told the best way to figure out the proper pressure is to draw a chalk line across the tread and drive around a bit then check it. If the center of the line is worn off, your pressure is too high. If the outer edges of the line are worn off, the pressure is too low. When the whole chalk line wears off evenly, you've got it.

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i race alot of dirt track stock cars so tire pressure is a big part of it and that seems correct but some tires are made with the middle higher then the sides i beleave so i think it would ware away before the sides would in most cases anyyways .

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
For driving mostly on street and wheelin once and awhile a 10" wide rim is perfect for 12.5" wide tires.

From exeriance a 8" wide rim works better for wheelin where you air down and dont have the $$$ for bead locks. From my parts we do lots of winter wheelin at 5 or so PSI. If you are on rock, sand, snow and wheel all the time then a 8" rim would be my choice due to the fact of airing down and holding the bead better.

Hell I run my 35x12.5's on 7" rims.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I run 33x12.50x15 on 15x7's. I have no problems with funny tread wear.just roatate your tires every 5,000 etc. play with air pressure a little. nothing unsafe about it in any way. plenty of desert race trucks run this combo , even with 35's.

If you like I can snap you a few pics of my rear tires that have about 10,000 miles on them...with no funky wear......

unless your plan to run alot of mud or sand etc and need the xtra wide rims for flotation, stay away from 15x10's. unless you like swaping out wheel bearing's alot.

if you really think you need a wider rims, or want a wider rim 15x8's would be a great all around rim. daily, mud, snow, trails etc......

just my 2 cents

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I am running my 33x12.50 Mickey Thompsons on 7" wheels and have had them as low as 2 psi with no problems ...... a little scary on the road..... even at 32 psi on the 7" wheels they are scary..... I would go 9 or 10 inches wide if you have the choice.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am planning on running 33x13.5-15 LTB's next summer and up until reading this I thought the only reasonable thing to do would be put 10" rims in that rubber. I like the idea of them behaving better when aired down if they are on a narrower rim. But I am worried about contact with my radius arms during tight corners. My 32x10.5-15 TSL radials already interfere with my radius arms. Canyoncritter makes a good point about 10" rims haveing more than standard leverage on wheel bearings, has anybody else that runs 10" rims had an issue?

Perhaps some radius arm modifying is in order.....

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
canyoncritter can you put some pics up i am go to 33x12.50 and i am debating weather to go to 15x8 or not. i have the original 15x7 alcoa's that came on my 03 fx4 levelII. what pressure do you run in them and how do to behave on the raod. i have had guys tell me you will have to run the pressure too low and it will be squrily and dangerous on the road. any input would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals