• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

350 swap 1988 2wd

Gmcgill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 88 2wd ranger with a service bed on the back, it used to be a city work truck but was retired along time ago. I picked it up with a blown motor and trans the rest of the truck is clean, and being my first rig, has allot of memories attached. I was just donated a 350 just needs a tune up. I was just wondering any tips and tricks, any converson kits I should get or any info at all would be awesome! (I know it's a chevy but free.99 is a good price plus there cheap and easy to work on, also the trans will be able to push the 2,000 lb. Utility box allot longer then the 2.9 tranny did.)

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Here’s the shirt and skinny.

Engine mounts. Get a set for a early 60s impala. Then take a piece of Chanel. Weld it to a piece of 1/4 plate. Set the motor where you want it. Weld the plate to the crossmember.

Make your own trans crossmember.

Get the correct yoke for the driveshaft.

Radiator you have 2 choices. Jegs brand 28x16.5. Or one from a 90s Dodge Ram van 1500. Both will require core support modifications.

Also. Lose the in take fuel pump. Too much pressure for a carb. Either run the mechanical one on the block. Or get an in-line electric pump.

Oh. You’ll also need a small cap hei

Exhaust. I run the 2.5 ram horn manifolds. And I cut and boxed my crossmember to fit them. If you’re not after all the power. Look for the 2” ram horns that angle back. They fit a lot better

Steering shaft. You need a 36 spline end at the box. You can order a universal joint from speedway motors. And weld it onto your existing shaft. And eliminate the rag joint by the box. This will give you the room you need for the exhaust.

That should be enough to get you started.

Gmcgill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Here’s the shirt and skinny.

Engine mounts. Get a set for a early 60s impala. Then take a piece of Chanel. Weld it to a piece of 1/4 plate. Set the motor where you want it. Weld the plate to the crossmember.

Make your own trans crossmember.

Get the correct yoke for the driveshaft.

Radiator you have 2 choices. Jegs brand 28x16.5. Or one from a 90s Dodge Ram van 1500. Both will require core support modifications.

Also. Lose the in take fuel pump. Too much pressure for a carb. Either run the mechanical one on the block. Or get an in-line electric pump.

Oh. You’ll also need a small cap hei

Exhaust. I run the 2.5 ram horn manifolds. And I cut and boxed my crossmember to fit them. If you’re not after all the power. Look for the 2” ram horns that angle back. They fit a lot better

Steering shaft. You need a 36 spline end at the box. You can order a universal joint from speedway motors. And weld it onto your existing shaft. And eliminate the rag joint by the box. This will give you the room you need for the exhaust.

That should be enough to get you started.
Awesome thank you so much for alall the input it doesn't sound like it should be that bad then, would you say it's worth doing? All the money saved verses a ford power plant?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome thank you so much for alall the input it doesn't sound like it should be that bad then, would you say it's worth doing? All the money saved verses a ford power plant?
I can’t really say. Because I’ve done it both ways. The sbf really is the better swap. So much easier.

But! I do love the sbc in my 88.

Run whatcha got. A v8 ranger is a hell of a lot of fun either way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals