• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Bronco II headers?

Dunk67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What headers will fit a 4.0 in a Bronco II? Specifically a '94 Ranger 4.0 into an '88 Bronco II, though I don't imagine that makes any difference.

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
How's your tig welding? Could get a stainless kit, bolt the flanges on, and tack it to suit the application. Pull them back out and clean em up.
I've always wanted to do this. Problem is, I can't weld worth a crap

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Honestly I wouldn't bother. The factory manifolds are more than adequate but they did used to have some headers for 2-300 bucks. What really makes a difference is getting it to run right and having the sensors functioning properly. I can spin 32" mud tires in fifth with 3.73s and last time I checked the mileage it was 25 with burnouts and highway driving.

Reactions: gaz

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Honestly I wouldn't bother. The factory manifolds are more than adequate but they did used to have some headers for 2-300 bucks. What really makes a difference is getting it to run right and having the sensors functioning properly. I can spin 32" mud tires in fifth with 3.73s and last time I checked the mileage it was 25 with burnouts and highway driving.

25 kilometers per gallon?

Dunk67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How's your tig welding? Could get a stainless kit, bolt the flanges on, and tack it to suit the application. Pull them back out and clean em up.
Never tig, mediocre at mig but could probably make it work if I had to. I don't want to spend that amount of time on this vehicle though. I'll have plenty of time into building the 4.0 and probably more into wiring. Prefer exhaust not be a big project.

Any 4.0 headers for a Ranger up to 97 should work, the suspension was all the same…
The handful available for the 4.0 mostly look very similar shape, at least the ones that list truck/SUV application. JBA makes a stainless header, which would be preferable to have fewer rust issues. Not sure how I'd plug the EGR port. Unsure what application of the 4.0 had EGR but maybe it's threaded and I can figure a plug, or get whatever attaches to it and weld or clamp that closed.

I have super crusty manifolds deeply pitted and broken off studs. I could drill out the studs, tap, and install new studs, blast and paint but I'd rather not spend that amount of time. If I'm buying new manifolds I may as well get headers if they're available. Every little bit helps.

Dorman and ATP manifolds are available but I'm highly skeptical of the quality, flow, and fit. I tried aftermarket manifolds when rebuilding my 7.3 IDI to save time on broken studs. They weren't even close to factory, no way to fit the turbo even if I made my own crossover pipe as there would be no room for the downpipe. ID on the manifolds was also a bit smaller than stock, finish rougher and passages had sharper turns than. Ended up returning them, after drilling and tapping for the thermocouple since they looked ok at a glance. Granted I can probably find serviceable 4.0 manifolds in a junkyard but here in the rust belt I'm likely to still end up dealing with broken studs.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
@Dunk67

Stainless, IMHO, is required in the rust belt, lol. I believe the EGR port is threaded, so ideally a stainless pipe plug would fix that. I believe 95-00 4.0s had EGR. I’m not sure if it was just part of the OBD2 changeover or if it was to meet tougher emissions or what. The basic motor is the same. I have a 95 4.0 in my 89 Choptop right now, I just pulled the upper intake, fuel rail and injectors, wiring harness, and exhaust manifolds. Between the manifolds and the upper intake the EGR was gone. Bolted my headers on and used my fuel stuff, wiring and upper intake that was from a 91 Ranger when I originally did my 4.0 swap.

Oh, and I hear you loud and clear on the often terrible aftermarket quality

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The egr port is metric threaded. Iirc m22x1.5 It's somewhere in my low buck race truck build when I put on headers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals