• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 L Swap (1996-2003)

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey Everyone,

I have a question related to a 4.0L swap, I am involved in. I picked up someone elses project and now I am not sure if I ship it off to ebay or actually finish it.

What I have is a 1996 Ranger XLT 4WD Extended Cab, 5 speed, that was hydro locked. So, the guy I got the project from picked up a 2003 4.0L engine and swapped out the dash of the 1996 and replaced it with the 2003 dash. I ended up dropping the engine in (the 2003) and put in a new clutch. I bolted it up to the 1996 trans (1 bolt did not line up, but I have everything in the truck).

The problem I am running into now is that the engine is sitting in there cocked. I forget what the guy told me about the mounts, but it may have been along the line of he kept the 96 mounts, but reversed them (either side to side or front to back). It appears to me that the 2003 engine mounts are different then the 1996 mounts, and I think the 1996 mounts are on the truck. Does anyone know what mounts I should be using, and I would assume they would need some modification? It looks like I may just be able to drill out the driver side mount. Currently the driver side mount has a hole for the bolt and a pin, while the passenger side has a slot. So should the slotted mount be on the passenger side?

I assume if I slot the motor mounts, the trans mounts will need to follow. Also, I am looking under the truck and it looks like the exhaust comes close to the frame rails, and the oil pan is mighty close to one of the crossmembers.

On the whole the 2003 engine looks like a slightly larger beast.

Should this be an easy swap, or are there size differences that will cause enough issues to become annoying?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the motor mount situation?

I have like six other projects on my plate, so if this becomes too tedious I will ship it off to ebay. I figured the easy part would be setting the motor in, then I would just have wiring and fuel/brake line issues...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...Mike

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals