• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 ohv slight vibration at 2100 rpm

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
I havent been on here for a while since getting my 93 Ranger XLT back together. I've been out enjoying it...man it sure drives nice and pulls hard with the 5 speed conversion and 97 4.0 engine I installed.

However, I noticed the other day when running down the freeway above 65 mph and at 2100 rpm, there is a buzzy/imbalanced feeling coming from the engine.

Its not in the drive train, its definitely coming from the engine...it never did this with the original 93 engine installed.

Then, when I accelerate to 2500 rpm's I can hear a pronounced rattling sound, almost like a detonation sound, in fact it almost sounds like valve float when you over rev an engine?

Again, it never did this with original engine so it's puzzling?

This engine is in very good condition, has around 125,000 miles on it and runs really well, except in these rpm ranges.

I do feel a slight tremble at idle too, not real bad, but certainly not as buttery smooth as one would expect from an engine with all new plugs & plug wires installed.

I'm wondering if it could possibly be a fuel injector causing a lean condition in one of the cylinders....thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had that on my 1994 4.0l, it was the fan clutch.

Start cold engine, and let it run for at least a minute, then shut it off, this frees up the clutch
Or test on warm engine after its off

See if you can wobble the fan, if you can it is causing the 2,000+ RPM vibration

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had that on my 1994 4.0l, it was the fan clutch.

Start cold engine, and let it run for at least a minute, then shut it off, this frees up the clutch
Or test on warm engine after its off

See if you can wobble the fan, if you can it is causing the 2,000+ RPM vibration
Good idea...unfortunately, I already replaced the fan clutch when I did the motor swap (water pump too).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New just means "never tested" now-a-days , it used to mean "tested and works", lol, not any more

Test it for wobble, its free :)

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New just means "never tested" now-a-days , it used to mean "tested and works", lol, not any more

Test it for wobble, its free :)
I just went out and removed the belt and checked not only the fan clutch, but the new water pump bushings/bearings...no play.

Especially after I thought back about what you mentioned RonD...I remember the sloppy original water pump causing the exact high frequency buzz you mention before I changed it.

This is doing the exact same feeling as it did then, but its a light throttle application buzziness I'm feeling around 2100 rpm...hard to describe.

The 2500 rpm chatter only happens at that light throttle application too...very odd??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could see if its fan belt related

Test and see if you feel it after Cold start of engine, at 2,100rpm or 2,500

Then when you have the time and engine is COLD
Remove fan belt from crank pulley
Start engine and see if you can feel vibration
If not then its coming from a pulley

You can run a COLD engine for a minute or 2 without the water pump, Battery Light will stay on
But no longer than 2 minutes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals