• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 overheating on highway

fordzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i got a over heating problem on the highway with my 4.0 it stays cool just for crusing around town but ones ur doing about 90 100 the temp starts going up ive put new thermostate, new clutch fan, fan, theres no leaks and the rad iset damaged or clogs so im not sure wut could be the problems if u have any ideas let me know and it would be greaty appreciated thanks.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
air trapped in the system. Jack up the front of the truck a couple inches (or park on a hill) and take the radiator cap off and run the engine, add coolant as the level goes down. Replace the radiator cap with a new one.

fordzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thats all u think that it is?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dude, "you" is spelled Y O U. Don't make me interpret your writing if you want my help. Use the spell checker.

Air bubbles can cause overheating, but a really easy diagnostic for them is that the engine makes irregular knocking sounds after it has been shut off, as the coolant boils. Highway speed overheating can be caused by quite a lot of things, but the most obvious is a plugged radiator.

fordzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sorry about that man my bad but my rad does not seem to be pluged so ill try doing what you said see how it works.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Overheating

Did you put the thermostat in correctly? Do you still have the original equipment air dam box in place under the radiator.

Don't poo-poo the man who is telling you to fill the engine running - you can't get enough water and remove all the air with the thermostat closed.

fordzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i will try it out and get back to tell how it works/

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It could also be (but very doubtful) bugs clogging up the front of the rad....

But city temps would also be quite high.

Exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
furd
Transmission
Automatic
Just some food for thought,

I think all of the suggestions are good.

Since you just replaced everything, The 1st thing I'd check is to make sure the thermostat is either working or facing the correct diretion.
To check if it is working put it in a pan of water on the stove. boil the water. As it get's hot it will open. If you need to know what temp it is opening use a candy thermometer. (or a digital guage if you have one)

If you don't want to pull it appart to check it. Start w/ as cold motor. Pull the cap off the radiator, fire it up and run it until every thing warms up. You should see water circulating through the radiator. It will push some water out as things warm up so keep your pets away (antifreeze) (If your neighbor is a tree hugger make sure you do this on thier front lawn:idiot: )

By doing this you are checking that your water pump is working and the thermostat is also working.

If it's over heating on the freeway and not around town, you may also want to check out the thermostatic clutch on you fan. If it does not lock up you will not pull enough air though your radiator, just because it's new doesent guarantee it is working right:blush:

Also, your heater core is part of your cooling system (easy place to trap air). so while checking for air in the cooling system, dont forget to turn the controll to heat while you are running the motor / filling / burping the system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals