4.0 Question

stangman701

Reaction score
I'm starting to look for a replacement 4.0 for my 97 Ranger. I know they put this engine in many vehicles for many years. Any ideas on which one's will work with minimal issues? I know it would definitely be best to get a 4.0 out of a 97 ranger, but I'm sure it'll be a lot easier to just find a random 4.0 OHV in a local junk yard if they'll work. Thanks for any input :icon_cheers:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They were used in quite a lot of Exploders and Aerostars. I believe Mountaineers as well by that year.

stangman701

Reaction score
They were used in quite a lot of Exploders and Aerostars. I believe Mountaineers as well by that year.
Yeah, I realize they were used in other vehicles. I was just wondering if there would be any major issues if I got a motor out of an explorer and put it in the ranger. Something like sensors in a different spot or something stupid like that where I'd have to hack up the wiring to get it to work.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just put a 92 engine from an exp into a 99Ranger (this may read funy I also just had hand surgery - not related) The 92 engine had less than 60k but had sat up for a long while. 99 had 200k + I'll rebuild the 99 over the winter and be able to drive the truck in the mean time.

The cam position sensor had to be modified - the 92 did not use one. I used a belt sander to shorten itabout 1/4 3/8 in works fine.

The older blocks don't have the same # of bolt bosses to accomodate the 97-99 motor mounts. I had to fab a piuece to make it work. this is only true of the drivers side.

I had to use my oil pan. the exp pan had a oil level indicator - it was busted + the mating surface looked different - but i really didn't einvestigate. The A/C mount looked different - mine bolted right up

I used all of the 99 intake - bolted right up -as did the trans. Checked out on the diag. at it all tested great. I've got a couple 1000 miles on it - I've seen no indication that the differences in the 92 heads and combustion chambers won't work with 99 emissions and cat convt. Once I finished everrythig I left it was a local shop and they went throught everything to make sure of that.

You will have trouble if you start interchanging some engine parts between models - read the tech article in the front of the ranger station o n 4.0 rebuilds-it helped me a lot.

Hope that helps you

Whatever engine you use be prepared for the rockers to be badly worn