• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Question

stangman701

Reaction score
I'm starting to look for a replacement 4.0 for my 97 Ranger. I know they put this engine in many vehicles for many years. Any ideas on which one's will work with minimal issues? I know it would definitely be best to get a 4.0 out of a 97 ranger, but I'm sure it'll be a lot easier to just find a random 4.0 OHV in a local junk yard if they'll work. Thanks for any input :icon_cheers:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They were used in quite a lot of Exploders and Aerostars. I believe Mountaineers as well by that year.

stangman701

Reaction score
They were used in quite a lot of Exploders and Aerostars. I believe Mountaineers as well by that year.
Yeah, I realize they were used in other vehicles. I was just wondering if there would be any major issues if I got a motor out of an explorer and put it in the ranger. Something like sensors in a different spot or something stupid like that where I'd have to hack up the wiring to get it to work.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just put a 92 engine from an exp into a 99Ranger (this may read funy I also just had hand surgery - not related) The 92 engine had less than 60k but had sat up for a long while. 99 had 200k + I'll rebuild the 99 over the winter and be able to drive the truck in the mean time.

The cam position sensor had to be modified - the 92 did not use one. I used a belt sander to shorten itabout 1/4 3/8 in works fine.

The older blocks don't have the same # of bolt bosses to accomodate the 97-99 motor mounts. I had to fab a piuece to make it work. this is only true of the drivers side.

I had to use my oil pan. the exp pan had a oil level indicator - it was busted + the mating surface looked different - but i really didn't einvestigate. The A/C mount looked different - mine bolted right up

I used all of the 99 intake - bolted right up -as did the trans. Checked out on the diag. at it all tested great. I've got a couple 1000 miles on it - I've seen no indication that the differences in the 92 heads and combustion chambers won't work with 99 emissions and cat convt. Once I finished everrythig I left it was a local shop and they went throught everything to make sure of that.

You will have trouble if you start interchanging some engine parts between models - read the tech article in the front of the ranger station o n 4.0 rebuilds-it helped me a lot.

Hope that helps you

Whatever engine you use be prepared for the rockers to be badly worn

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals