• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Running Very Rich

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
There’s a 3 or 4 digit code on a sticker on the computer you may need.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sir, I have absolutely no idea. I apologize for that, and you are right, they can vary year to year, as well as possibly day by day.
The last computer I bought was for a 73 Econoline :/

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
98 could be either style system. Check the fuel pressure, returnless (if functioning) should be 65psi. Older system is 35-45psi. Also only one line from the the tank to the rail on the returnless system, return system has 2 (one is the return obviously). This doesn't include the evap purge line.

I'm more concerned that you have no codes.... I'd wanna look at live data while it's running. Fuel trims, o2 voltages, maf readings etc. Those cannot all be reading right and run that rich. And if they aren't reading right why is the computer not throwing a code. At the very least it should be showing p0172 and p0173
Just re-reading your comment. I know for a fact it's the returnless style, 65 psi and only one fuel line. I have yet to read any of the data. I plan to tomorrow. But I need help on how to read it. At idle, what should the o2 sensors, fuel trim and maf be reading? I can also record the live data and maybe post them later on. Also, I remembered I have an engine stethoscope, would that come in handy with the injectors at all?

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Sir, I have absolutely no idea. I apologize for that, and you are right, they can vary year to year, as well as possibly day by day.
The last computer I bought was for a 73 Econoline :/
I assume that computer took up most of the space in the back of a '73 Econoline.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No sir, it went right into the passenger kick panel

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
=
I'm more concerned that you have no codes.... I'd wanna look at live data while it's running. Fuel trims, o2 voltages, maf readings etc. Those cannot all be reading right and run that rich. And if they aren't reading right why is the computer not throwing a code. At the very least it should be showing p0172 and p0173
Dirtman is correct---You need to study the "live stream, or PID data". The maf is around .7 to.9 volts at idle. The o2 sensor voltage, under ideal condition, vary from .1 to 1 volt, creating a "wave" form. Force the computer to throw a code, by unplugging the MAF while running at idle, observing if any change takes place in the running condition/symptoms. (ck eng lite should come on after short time, computer should revert to open loop statis/preprogramed fuel tables using info from tps/ect sensor.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ok, so my mechanic called me and told me that I have the wrong injectors, and that the injectors should be from a 1997 ranger. It doesn't make sense because 97 should have the fuel pressure return setup, and 45 psi, and my truck is not that style.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You cant go by the year on the title you have to go by the manufacturing date on the door tag. An early 98 could still have 97 model equipment. Ford didnt just stop all production of "97 models" on January 1st 1998. There is always overlap between major changes. Always keep that in mind.

However If they were the wrong injectors there would also be a DTC though. Get a new mechanic.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Another quick question. What side is the pressure test thing (shrader valve?) supposed to be on?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Usually the drivers side.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Usually the drivers side.
Thank you. I'm working on the truck now. ive been looking at pictures on Google of it, and it seems that it's on the passenger. And I remember seeing the blue cap for it all the time next to the coil pack. It was on the driver side. I flipped the fuel rail over to where it used to be. I looked at the injectors, it's got 4 pin holes, and my mechanic says it should have 1. I called the dealer, and they are telling me I have the right injectors.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4 x 4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
My credo
Life is just a long string of stories.
I've got a 1998 Ranger 4.0. And it is running extremely rich. This might be a little long, but I want to include every detail leading up to this issue that me and my mechanic cannot figure out.

I should mention here and now, through all this, ZERO codes were thrown, and everything checks out to the computer from my understanding. ALSO, the truck has a brand new pcm, few months prior to this, the old one wouldn't read the o2 sensors, and all this may have something to do with the wiring there. But the new computer reads them just fine, and they also check out, so.

September 1st, I got ready to go 1300 miles to Colorado for vacation and was supposed to leave the next day. I got off work, got in the truck, started it up, and it had a little rough idle. I drove it to the gas station, all was fine. I let it idle while I was in the station, and i go back out, and black smoke was pouring out the exhaust, horrid idle and all, I immediately shut it off. I checked everything I could with my eyes, nothing, other than coolant leaking out the side of the block, which it has done for about a year now, never got to it. Vacation canceled! I drove it back to my work, and the next morning, I have a friend come tow it for me to my mechanic. We got there. We start it up, black smoke turning to white over time. HEAD GASKET right!? Idk, but I told my mechanic to change out the head gasket while he's at it, oh, and rebuild the whole darn thing including the transmission! 2 months later, everything is put back together, thousands in new parts, oversize bearings, new pistons, rings, pushrods etc. You get the point. First start, rough, as expected. But it didn't go away. Black smoke pouring out the exasut. When you drive it, it drives and runs like it just came off the lot. When its idling, its pouring gas in the cylinders, fouling out the new plugs.

It has brand new injectors as part of this job. So it can't be the injectors, since it was doing the same thing with the old ones. Something is telling the pcm to run in a rich condition, I really have no clue. What we do know, the ect sensor checks out, the pcm is from my understanding, working properly BUT there is a chance it isn't. My mechanic is dead set on this issue NOT being the pcm, so were going to pass it up for the time being, and figure out what else could possibly cause this. Although, I have talked to a certified ford tech, and he swears up and down, it's the pcm, but my mechanic doesn't think so. I want to say it's the pcm but I also want to trust my mechanic. He was a gm mechanic for decades and a backyard mechanic for another few decades, and he has never once been wrong with any of mine or my families vehicles.

We both don't know exactly what can cause this. I will be going over to help him in the morning to try and figure this out.

So, what should I check? Or replace? Or beat with a hammer?
My '99 - 4.0, 4x4 XLT did the exact same thing a few months back. Smelled lots of gas and ran rough at idle. Mine did throw a code, P1507, and it turned out to be the idle air sensor. Cost about $50 to replace and caused one fouled plug. Now it runs like a top.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well once my mechanic throws in another set of injectors just to tell me that didn't work, I'm taking it back. I'm at a complete loss and im so frustrated. I guess I'm just gonna keep throwing parts at it until I give up and junk the truck I've had since I was 14.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals