• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC to OHV?

KRCT-2585

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So i'm looking to get a new motor in my 02 ranger. I've seen the issues with the complex timing on the 4.0 SOHC engines. This being said i've got a few questions.
-Is the 4.0 OHV easier to build and set timing?
-Can I still use the 5r55e trans from the SOHC on the OHV?
-If not, what trans should i use?
-Are the motor mounts and wiring harnesses similar between the 2 engines so there won't be an issue dropping one in?
I'm brand new to swapping engines and any input is welcome.
Thanks in advance TRS!
-Bridger M

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, not an easy swap
Only similarities are the motor mounts and trans bolt pattern

Computer and wiring harness are different

4.0l SOHC had faulty tensioners in 1997 to 2003 model years, this was fixed and 2004 and up didn't have the problems, but any OHC engines with long timing chains will have more timing chain issues that say the 2.8l, lol, no timing chain
And if updated to the new tensioners the 1997-2003 worked just fine after that, so not a bad engine
I think you need to change the tensioners every 70k miles but just my opinion

The 4.0l OHV did used the 5R55E from 1998 to 2000 so you could use engine and computer(from automatic) with wiring harness from those 3 years in your 2002

Not a good swap IMO, you lose 40-50horse power, 4.0l OHV is rated at 160HP, SOHC at 207HP

Fixing yours or getting a newer 4.0l SOHC would be a better option, but still change the 2 tensioners, and use motorcraft not 3rd party tensioners

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was a Ford service manager from 1982 until 2017, so before Rangers until after Rangers. The 4.0 ohv had oil leaks everywhere for years,then they upgraded the gaskets and fixed the problem.Later ohv's would come in with coolant in the oil and hairline cracks in the heads under the valve covers. While I like the OHV better than the SOHC engines in both the Rangers I bought new because the SOHC is over complicated, I would never replace an engine with a less powerful one. If you can find a used SOHC with reasonable miles and no sludge(indicating lack of maintenance),that would be the least expensive and easiest fix. Every engine has it's faults.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals