• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4-Cyl. running cold

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1991 Ford ranger with a 2.3 liter manual. It has 164,000 mile on it and everything runs great yet. My problem is the temp gauge barely(?) makes it into the normal band in the cluster after driving 20 miles. The heat coming out of the vents is warm at best, never really getting hot. I have placed a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator with a 5"x5" hole and it still never heats up totally. I have replaced the thermostat with a 195 degree one and nothing has changed. I am no professional, but don't think the heater core could be the problem because the gauge indicates it's running cool. I know these engines never had a problem with overheating but it sure would be nice to get it warmer on cold mornings. you can ask me more questions if it would help, any ideas?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Have you flushed the cooling system out real good, with a garden hose? On one hand you may have sludge or scale buildup on the inside surfaces of the heater core, preventing a good heat exchange, but on the other hand I'm always hesitant to suggest anything more than a clean water flushing of the cooling system. Also might want to check that the blend door is fully operable, and perhaps also check that you don't have trash (leaves) blocking the air flow through the core. The heater core hoses should be getting pretty hot to the touch; are they?

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the advice RobbieD, Just wondering though how do you check to see if the blend door is operating properly, is there an easy way to check? Leaves shouldn't be a problem considering the truck is normally garaged and if it sits outside theres no trees near and i try to stay on top of that kinda thing. I'll have to try to touch the heater core hoses tomorrow if i get a chance. thanks again for the help

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Check that the coolant is cycling properly on warm-up. Mark the overflow when cold, and then warm it up and see if the level goes up. Feel the upper rad hose to see if it's pressurizing.

'Cause it sounds like low coolant.

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last night decided to maybe check to see if the heater core was clogged so i drained the coolant and removed the core and i must say it looked perfect and hooked it to a hose and the water ran right through it really clean. There seems to be some small hose coming off the return line from the heater core, does anyone know where this goes, I tried to follow it and think there is a wire that comes off it(to the gauge maybe?). i shot water through the hose leading to the core and it was clean as well. The t-stat is opening up and circulating coolant but the heater stayed relatively cool to the touch as if no flow through that system.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The temp gauge sender should live right behind the thermostat in the intake manifold. If it is "teed" off the heater, it's FOS.

This sounds like a hare-brained previous-owner modification.

Dsc Motorsports

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ive had my ranger(2.3l) for about a year and it always runs extremely cool and the heater also takes a while to heat up!!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
There seems to be some small hose coming off the return line from the heater core, does anyone know where this goes, I tried to follow it and think there is a wire that comes off it(to the gauge maybe?).
How does this "small hose" come off of the return line from the core? Does it go to something that's spliced inline into the heater hose? I'm not aware that a shutoff valve was used on the early trucks, but there shouldn't be any small hose coming off the heater core hose on the stock setup. Does your truck have air conditioning, and if so do you know if it's stock or aftermarket AC?

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When the hose returns from the heater core it routes toward the middle of the passenger side of the engine head, there is a tee(more of an elbow with a small fitting for a little hose). It looks all stock and i have no reason to suspect that it is a modification. I do have stock air conditioning. I have looked for a shut off valve and haven't found one yet, would ford have tried to hide this, on my 97 ranger with the 4.0 its up high and accessible. i have removed and flushed the line into the core, the core, and the return line(including the tee). Thanks again for all your help

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a water manifold. I don't think those are stock for any RBV. It's something you might do if you have a problem with air pockets forming in the head. It shouldn't be necessary on a stock head.

Unless it actually goes to the intake manifold. That would be a heated manifold. It's useful for correcting fuel atomization problems (though I thought all RBVs used a heat stove instead).

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I figured i would just put everything back together and worry about it in the summer. Everything seem to be working great now. I must have dislodged something. Anyways thanks for all the help everyone

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals