• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4ohv to 4sohc

DAN1M3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 Mazda b4000 with a cracked head and I plan on doing a 5.0 swap at some point but being as that will be a much bigger project I was thinking about throwing a 4.0 from a 98 explorer into it in the meantime while I gather all the needed parts for the 5.0 swap.

im just wondering if this is a viable idea and if so then what are the things I need to look for when installing the sohc engine that would be different or need modifications?

I was looking for info but couldn’t find any about swapping the newer engine into the older rig. thank you in advance.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Dan, welcome to TRS
I'm not specifically familiar with yous but the 93/94 series are basically in a group all their own
I am in the process of doing a likely simpler swap. , a 96 Explorer 4.0 into a 93
In order to avoid doing a large amount of wiring updates I can simplify by using the 96 block with the 93 intake and have a fairly near seamless swap

I'm not sure how you can relate that to yours but thought I'd share it just in case it could help

DAN1M3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Manual
Hey Dan, welcome to TRS
I'm not specifically familiar with yous but the 93/94 series are basically in a group all their own
I am in the process of doing a likely simpler swap. , a 96 Explorer 4.0 into a 93
In order to avoid doing a large amount of wiring updates I can simplify by using the 96 block with the 93 intake and have a fairly near seamless swap

I'm not sure how you can relate that to yours but thought I'd share it just in case it could help
Hey I appreciate all the input anyone has! That is something I can look out for. Thank you very much. You’re an mvp my friend.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For what it's worth, I don't think you'll find the SOHC swap any easier at all than the 5.0.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
:iamwithstupid:

The swap isn't going to be any easier and might actually be harder when it comes to the wiring and getting everything to work right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals