• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44e shifting

Murdered_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 ford ranger 3.0l automatic, that is lifted and with 33s. That is how I bought it anyway. Guy I bought it from said the trans was rebuilt at 140k miles currently the truck has almost 180k miles. he supposedly had the trans built it had a shift kit and upped line pressure. So it shifts a little harder which is expected. This my first ford, I know nothing about them, how the trans works or common issues. But when you cruise down the road and you go to pass someone, if you dont gently press the gas and let it downshift itself through the gears, the rpms jump super high and then the gear grabs. Or when you speed up to about 25 mph and let off, it upshifts super hard and you can sometimes hear a clunk. I checked my driveshafts and u joints and they are all good. I also ran my scan tool while driving and my electronic pressure control said 39-40 psi cruising and when you downshift it drops down to 20ish psi. Any ideas, if it is the transmission imma ride it till it needs rebuilt but if its something simple and cheaper than the transmission i would like to try and fix it.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You're describing Slipping; common with 4r44e\5r55e Transmissions with 100kMiles+
that have been "rode hard" & not serviced (PanDrop + ValveBodyBoltRetorq + NewFilter + NewPanGasket + 5~7qts MerconV + Band Adjust); needed every 33kMiles\4yrs; may need a new VBBondedGasket &\or a ShiftKit.
* Is CheckEnginLit\CEL Lamp ON or OverDrive\OD Lamp FLASHING in InstrumentCluster;
did PreviousOwner\PO disable\remove those Bulbs in prep for sale?
* First make sure your ATF level is good; check it with Trans warmed up & Engin idling in Park.
Is ATF color a clean translucent Red\Pink or darker\dirtier with a burnt smell?
* Then scan for OBD2 TroubleCodes, specificly for the Trans; write all those numbers down & post them here.
Need a scan tool that reads both StandardSAE & ProprietaryFord codes.
* Needed fix could be anything from simply changing the ATF to a full rebuild.

Last edited:

Murdered_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I scanned it and a friend scanned with a nice snap on scanner and had no codes. fluid is a healthy pink and full. Overdrive light does not flash and does work. maybe the bands just need adjusted

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals